OT....One to Test You....

Gentlemen

A very long time ago, in the late forties, perhaps when 'our' Norman was a lad, grocery shops such as the Co-op used to have a central cashier's office, rather than individual tills located on the counter.

The customer would buy her half pound of lard and the shop assistant would load the money and a receipt into a small brass pot. The pot was then attached to a system of exposed overhead wires, an overhead handle was pulled downwards and the pot whizzed along the length of the shop to the cashier's office. A short time later the pot whizzed back, now containing any change and the 'paid' receipt.

Who made this system....what was it called...?

(nb Do not confuse with the later system where the process was the same except the transfer was by means of a cylindrical container traveling within enclosed tubing and propelled by compressed air..'Lampson Tube'? This system, until recently, at least, was still in use in some of HM's warships)

--

Chris Edwards

Chris, There still is one still working int' Coop at Beamish Museum!

Why not ask them?

Long time since my missus played clarinet in bandstand ex Gateshead Park. Longer even since her dental surgery there was in use.

Suffering from withdrawal symptoms? Sorry , mate, wish I could help further.

Airing my 'pinnie' ex- Masonic Hall- must fly err the blackballs- and that. One was re built at Beamish.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I can remember both. The Co-op at Wallington Green had the earlier one in the

1950's and never got updated.

I think Lamson Paragon was the company that made them both.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Curse your eyes sir!

I was going to say that!

(although the containers are wooden spheres, not brass pots)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Chris, Belay last post! It possibly is the compressed air one ast Beamish Mind goes back further into Northumberland Street in Newcastle. 1944 onwards.

Query- Bainbridges- John Lewis's now. Marks and Sparks. mind keeps hearing sucking noises and little pots whizzing about overhead. Wasn't always the Germans!

I was 14- and writing paper was short and we used to stick it in the 'bog' and it read-- 'Owing to the shortage of paper- please use both sides'

Chris - you must be more ancient- if that is possible. Me boss had just come back from the war. Signals Officer to Guy Gibson VC of No617 Squadron- The Dambusters.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Isn't that something you get from doing pressups in a coalmine?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

This could end up with more than wooden balls! I subscribe- for reasons of insanity- to Aviation Hysteria and Nostalgia PPRunNe Forum. Some geek has unearthed volumes of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers. Nope, i am not OT as there are adverts for things like-- tubes and Avo's and sic.

One old advert is--- watch your pacemakers-- the firm called Helliwells makers of tubes of all shapes and sizes---- and a naked Miss Helliwell.

And you think that MEW has claims to fame? Reminds me-- had Northern Goldsmiths one of these overhead whatsits? It still has a Golden Naked Lady above the Clock outside. Never did remember the time on the clock

Miss Helliwell-- sounds Posh??????

Reply to
ravensworth2674

A google search on the expression "cash railway" will give loads of interesting stuff about them. Also a google search with the words - overhead cash system - will bring you some more hits including some sites with photos.

You can see the makers name on the equipment, well on some of it.

Reply to
brightside S9

That is the old one about the guy on the beach in Spain doing press ups in the cold light of day. The old Spaniard was watching intently and said 'Senor, Senor! The senorita- she is gone'

Thanks for the ?????? Reminds me of the lecture on Sexually Transmitted Diseases when I was a young sprog in Air Force Blue. Carefull Norm. When one dies and is cremated they have to ensure that the pacemaker is taken out-- Bang!

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I googled it but in Newcastle. Found that I was right but got a shock to recall Deans, the motor cycle folks whose gear is in the Beamish. Henry Walkers in Westgate Road were makers.Gives a creepy feeling to think that some of my class mates were apprentices there.

Thanks

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Ring Myfords it sounds like their latest technology.

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

And in my local (~two years old) Tesco, but I thought that they were and are "suck" not "blow".

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Now now John, I will not have you diss-ing Myford, just because Noah made bits for his Arc on one, does not mean they are not stilll useful. Modernization is not all it's cracked up to be. After all, we now have liquidizers, but you still use your old fashioned teeth to eat with. ( witty repostes about new false choppers would be considered too OT) :>) How about you and your lad doing a CNC conversion for a Myford? T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

I know 'tis many leagues across hill and dale to Liverpool from Geordieland, but does the gentleman over Lewis's front door still display his worldly goods to every passing girl, woman, and anyone else who's interested? Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

Tony Jeffree is part way through doing one but hit a stumbling block in that the controller will only take old shillings and not new 5p pieces.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Would have hoped it took Farthings!

Reply to
the wizard

Nah - the bigger problem is getting a supply of town gas and new mantles for the work light.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree