Pacera drill parts sought

Just wondering if anyone has lying around a 5 step pulley to fit an old Pacera drill.

In an ideal world, I would also like to find the broached bearing sleeve that the pulley fits on.

Meddings no longer have spares for this old drill other than return springs. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Any other bits as well?

I've got a Pacera drill that has only been used for driving a 5" diamond core drill through the workshop floor in the last 4 years and is only likely to be used for similar duty in the future.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

!

how deep is the hole?!!!?

Reply to
bigegg

Four foot! Although, to be fair, only the last 9" was through concrete :-)

'Twas for making the sump that the pit drainage pump sits in larger.

Mark Rand (you did ask) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Not sure the meaning here, you want to get rid of it? Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Basically, I've got more pillar drills than I need and the Pacera is only ever going to be used for jobs that you wouldn't want to use your best drill for.

So if you've got a drill that could benefit from the bits, they're yours.

Was it only the pulley and quill that you needed or should I remove anything else from it?

I've forgotten where you are, I'm in Rugby.

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Many thanks I need the 5 step (I think it was a 5 step, not 6 ) pulley at the quill end, and the bit it fits to. This being the bearing carrier set into the head casting, ( which was a b'strd to get out!! ) with the broached hole that accepts the spindle drive. I would be happy to recompense and feel free to "Chat" via my private email. As you rightly say, "Pacera" is not for "best" but I have several drills permanently set to do a specific job. This one only taps a 4mm thread, but the saving of time setting up is worthwhile. This would then leave you with a part drill? if not acceptable please advise. I'm in Enfield, North London Regards Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Hi Mark Please advise if and when these parts may be available. I'm worried you may have replied on my private email and it got chewed up by mistake in the spam thingy. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

No, I hadn't emailed you. Another chap did email asking for the belt cover. Trouble is that I dropped that some years back and it snapped in two. I volunteered to weld the halves back together if I could find them, but I'm worried that they might have been thrown out.

The parts should be available when I can get them off the drill. The drill itself is available now if you wanted to get the bits off it!

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Many thanks, not sure now what's best. If I were round the corner I'd take the drill complete. Shipping a whole drill is messy to post. I will contact my son who may be able to get one of his courier guys to collect, if not, looks like plan B, go for the bits. Regards Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Mark Oooops !! I didnt read your last post properly. Thought it said take the whole thing, sorry, realise now it says take the parts off. This will have to be plan B then, I will await postage and compensation amounts from your good self. Regards Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Since I haven't actually found the belt guard, you are quite welcome to the entire thing apart from that If one of your sons couriers was passing by soon enough for you. Otherwise, unless you needed the other bits, then posting the pulley and broached bit is going to be seriously cheaper.

I'll have a go at getting the bits off this evening after I've finished gardening tasks (if I am not a quadriplegic cripple due to too much digging by then).

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hi Mark Any joy ? Bob

Reply to
Emimec

At present, I am open to suggestions for removing the pulley without destroying it... The grubscrew has been removed. penetrating oil (actually, ether, kerosene and a drop of oil) has been applied and the pulley has been heated as hot as I would want to take zinc (about 150 C).

So far, the pulley hasn't, yet, come free. I might have to turn up a clamp ring to spread the load so that I can use a puller on it without wrecking the pulley flanges.

It's older than JS, it's got an excuse to be curmudgeonly :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I had a go at a similar job recently and now need a new Picador 5M pulley (2-3-4-5). My "solution" was to make a puller out of two pieces of

1/4" steel with M8 studding between and and M8 bolt in the top piece. All that happened was the top piece of 1/4 steel bent. I also tried heat penetrating oil all to availal. When it came off it was in three pieces!

There was mushrooming on the opposite end of the shaft which I had to turn down in order to get the bearings off so I guess the clearly non-original pulley may have been fitted with the aid of the nearest handy hydraulic press.

As a side effect; if anyone has a spare 5M pulley (Z section belt) I'd be interested in buying it. Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Check down the hole for a second grub screw.

BTDT Broke the part learning it.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Interesting, My one was a B'strd to get off as well. Totally destroyed it in the process, thinking I could just get one ex stock!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

So I'd better be cautious with this one then?

It looks as if the pulley on the motor may well be identical to the one on the spindle, so at least that's a second option. I'm going to try to get some decent penetrating oil down between the pulley and the quill for a few days. When I've got the lathe unburdened, I'll try to turn up an adaptor to spread the load onto one or two of the pulley flanges and make a puller for it. I went as far as I felt safe with levers last night... about 50lbs on each of two levers with 5-10:1 mechanical advantage.

Can always chisel the drill casting off of the quill I suppose :-)

I'll keep working on it unless I hear that your lad is heading up this way.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I have put an "alert" on this site to see if someone can offer a sensible delivery price to save the hassle. Never used them, but worth a shot.

Emimec

The only thing that went well today was that I finally got round to finishing a split ring to enable the quill pulley to be pulled off without breaking and a plug to transfer the puller's force to the bearing sleeve. They worked :-)

I have the pulley off, with only slight damage. The bearing pre-load nuts and the top bearing cover were easy. It'll be a bit more work to get the bearing sleeve out, but we're well on the way.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand