PLEASE HELP! Richmond No. 1 horizontal milling machine???

Hello all,

I live here in the United States and I just purchased a horizonta milling machine that I think is of european origin. I can't seem t find any information on this machine at all and was wondering if any o you have ever heard of it? Description as follows.

Facing the front of the machine on the top left hand side, it say Richmond in the casting. Below that there is an aluminum plate tha says Atlas Engineering Company, London.

On the right hand side of the machine there is an aluminum plat that says the following, Type 11, Serial# 4822, Richmond, No. 1 Millin Machine, and a graphical chart for speeds. Right below that there is smaller aluminum plate that has a graphical chart for feeds.

On the bottom right and left sides of the machine in the casting it says the following, Midgley & Sutcliffe Ltd, Hunslet Leeds 10

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge of this machine. If yo have manuals, specifications etc. or any information at all please le me know. Thank you in advance for any help!

Sincerely,

Audie Murphy MURF'S MALLARD

2140 Hooper Road Yuba City, CA 95993 Phone: 866-426-8737 Fax: 530-822-7988 Email: snipped-for-privacy@murfsmallard.co

-- murfs_mallar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- murfs_mallard's Profile:

this thread:

murfs_mallard

In article , murfs_mallard writes

Audie,

Without knowing any better, it sounds to me like you might have bought a "Bitza" milling machine[1].

I'd recommend a good look around

If it's not on there, it probably doesn't exist. Ignore the half-ton of metal in your workshop, it doesn't exist. ;^)

Good luck.

[1] "Bitza" this, "bitza" that...
Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Milling

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tom

If you would please email me a scan of the specs. you have fo this machine I would greatly appreciate it. I have been searching hig and low for weeks, you are a true life saver. Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again! :)

Sincerely,

Audie Murphy MURF'S MALLARD

2140 Hooper Road Yuba City, CA 95993 Phone: 866-426-8737 Fax: 530-822-7988 Email: snipped-for-privacy@murfsmallard.co

-- murfs_mallar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- murfs_mallard's Profile:

this thread:

murfs_mallard

'Twas Mark Jones

Since he's over here you can't both have been after the same machine!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Andrew Mawson,

Thank you for your input also. Every time I ask somebody abou Morse Taper 3 tooling with the drive flats, they look at me like I a crazy or something. It's nice to know I am not the only one. My machine does have the swiveling table, but the ram for th arbor support is round not a dovetail like yours was. I got two en mill holders with it, one was made with the flats and the othe somebody custom ground their own flats on and I also have a 1" dia arbor for saws, shells etc... I also have a power feed on thi machine, there is a drive line on the right hand side looking at th machine that runs from underneath the table down to a gear-box toward the back. Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Audie Murphy MURF'S MALLARD

2140 Hooper Road Yuba City, CA 95993 Phone: 866-426-8737 Fax: 530-822-7988 Email: snipped-for-privacy@murfsmallard.co

-- murfs_mallar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- murfs_mallard's Profile:

this thread:

murfs_mallard

Tom,

I got it. Thank you so very much. Now I just need to find out i the maker is still in business or if any parts are still available, d you know off hand?

Sincerely,

Audie Murphy MURF'S MALLARD

2140 Hooper Road Yuba City, CA 95993 Phone: 866-426-8737 Fax: 530-822-7988 Email: snipped-for-privacy@murfsmallard.co

-- murfs_mallar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- murfs_mallard's Profile:

this thread:

murfs_mallard

Your machne was made by Midgley & Sutcliffe in 1952. Yell if you want a scan of the specs, I'm not into typing screeds..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

On way..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Further to my mail to you, Richmond Machine Tool Co became part of the George Cohen 600 Group in 1955. The Co appears to have a chequered career and the name was resurrected again in 2002 to market VMCs. If parts were available, which I doubt, going on other 600 Group parts prices, a Ca lottery win would be inadequate! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'm still waiting for the chap to send me some pics before I think about going 93 miles to pick it up or even look at it . I've still no idea what this machine looks like. The guy who is selling it does not even know how it works. In the mean time I missed this one here ...The Herbert no1 =A350 SOME OTHER BARGAINS HERE AS WELL

THE BEST....MARK

Reply to
mark

Hi just came across this conversation I have just got a Richmond mill too f rom what I can see its a model 0 with the single round overarm support, doe s any one have a user manual for this machine ?? Regards Nigel ( in the UK)

Reply to
Nigel Bown

You could try:

Alan