Pneumatic Cylinder Threads

Hi,

I've ordered a pneumatic cylinder off eBay and was looking into what sort of thread it would have on it. I know that they're imperial as the cylinder is old and was wondering if there is a thread that it's most likely to be....?

After a quick Google, I found this page:

noted "Unified Constant Pitch" - which got me thinking....Does this mean you can get variable pitch threads? I can't see any way of using it as the coarser pitch section would try to pull away from the finer pitch section.....

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

page:

and noted "Unified Constant Pitch" - which got me thinking....Does this mean

It should have bsp threads for the ports unless it is an Enots cylinder.The thread on the rod can be anything,I have seen them with unc,bsw,unf and metric fine. Mark.

Reply to
mark

"Michael" wrote in message news:QrGHh.257$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

I think that "constant pitch" simply means that the pitch does not change for differing diameters in these thread systems.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Thanks,

Is there a metric equivalent?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I doubt that it will be metric. With the exception of the US, BSP seems to be universally used for plumbing and pneumatics. Across the pond NPT threads are the norm.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Michael,

If you are connecting it Pneumatically then it is usually BSP, except for anything made by SMC which use their own universal thread which BSP screws into, rod ends can be anything the customer wishes to suit the shaft size.

Martin P

"Michael" wrote in message news:QrGHh.257$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
campingstoveman