Portable Generator Power

This might be a bit off topic, but I think some kind person might be able to help.

I have let myself in for a job removing and re-welding four tubular body mounting brackets on my nephew's "Dax" Cobra kit car.

Dax have welded the mounts in the wrong place on the chassis, (or molded in the scuttle hoop brackets in the wrong place on the body molding, either way they don't line up with each other.

The problem is that the shed he is working in has no mains power and he works off a small generator, I knew that his gen wouldn't have the guts to power my Tig set, so I have just tried my own Genarc 2.2kw gen and I can hold and arc at 25 amps, but no chance at 50amps (didn't bother to try anything in between) I'm guessing that I will need upwards of 70 amps.

The welder is an invertor set if it makes a difference.

So my question is can someone make a stab at how much of a gen would he need to beg/hire to do the job, I'm guessing up about 5/6kw output might be in the ball park?

Another minor question....does anyone know how to turn off the " replace text" function while typing in Forte Agent?I just can't find how to turn it off and I'm rather sick of it!

Cheers

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Voltage output on a welder is somewhere in the 60-80V range. Assume 50% efficiency then you need 80V x 70A x 2 =12Kw worst case

Reply to
bigegg

In article , Rich writes

Rich,

What I don't know about welding would fill a very large book. However, for your Forte Agent problem, try the Insert key. In many other programs, that toggles the "overtype" mode; never used FA, but that might be the same.

BTW, do I detect that I am not the only person in the world who believes the overtype mode to be an abomination, whose inventor is surely destined for a very special punishment in the nether regions? I obliterated it in Word by re-assigning the Ins key (to "save") but most programs don't allow that.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Overtype is the default in any system that doesn't have the added functionality of insert. Take your pick.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In article , Mark Rand writes

Doesn't mean it isn't a crap idea...

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I agree, complete pain in the arse!

Guess that I must have pressed the insert key at some time, what bugs me is that the program has remembered that press.

Thanks to all who helped....and the welding problem has now gone away...he is getting a mobile dude in for 40 quid, so I'm off the hook.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

In article , Rich writes

Forgot to say this earlier - you may find there is a little indicator flag at the bottom of the window warning you that overtype mode has been toggled on. In the programs I have, this is shown by "OVR". Forte Agent may not be the same, of course.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

On or around Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:10:48 +0100, David Littlewood enlightened us thusly:

oh yes it is...

I've a theory that the "random overstrike mode" bug is not a bug at all - it's caused by the proximity of the INSERT key to the BACKSPACE key, and hitting the former with your little finger while going for the backspace with index or middle finger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

backspace

I'll buy that theory. Same happens with Caps Lock and the 'A' key !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

I'm obviously among like minds here; IMO "Caps Lock" is almost as bad as "Ins". Not quite, as I can just about see why it might be used, though I hate things typed in capitals.

My solution to this was simple - a small screwdriver inserted under the key lifts it out (of most desktop keyboards) with very little effort and no damage. Laptops may be more variable.

I would do the same with Ins, except that I solved the problem with Word already, and it is occasionally used for something real.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood