Proxxoning a Chinese Copy?

I wonder if anyone has made a miniature saw bench from a slitting saw with the purpose of cutting up balsa, etc, wood for modelling?

Reply to
gareth

I made one with a diamond abrasive saw of the type jewellers use to cut rubies and emeralds, for cutting the hard stuff like carbide.

ebay - unfortunately they aren't on sale any more.

Thinking about a chop saw too, with a serrated slitting saw blade - but again that would be for metal, not wood.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I've been thinking of making, or adapting, something to cut PCB material, which is copper faced fibre glass.

Can you offer any advice, please?

At the moment I use a handsaw and this is very much a vague maybe nice to have.

Reply to
Brian Reay

In descending order of goodieness:

Laser.

Waterjet.

Shear or guillotine. Or, if it's thin enough, strong scissors.

Score and snap.

Bandsaw. Eats blades though.

If you must use a slitting saw, you will need carbide - HSS will blunt in no time, as the laminate is very abrasive.

As the laminate is only about 1-2 mm think, finding a saw which obeys the three-teeth rule will be almost impossible.

is probably about the best you can get, and the teeth are FAR TOO BIG.

Another possibility is a thin metal cutting disk for an angle grinder. Put it in an arbor in a mill, or in a fast table/chop saw, and you can get it to do accurate cuts. You don't need the power of an angle grinder to cut laminate.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

forgot to mention, a diamond lapidary saw blade also works, but is slow.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Or the speed, 1000 rpm will do. And a 1mm ULTRA THIN METAL CUTTING DISC (the ones meant for stainless work well) doesn't eat your fingers nearly as easily as a toothed blade.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother