Questions about Holbrook model C No10 lathe

I'm about to become the proud owner of a Holbrook modC No10 lathe. I've already got a Chipmaster and I can't keep both so one will have to go, my inclination is to keep the Chippie. Any comments?

I need to move the Holbrook in a few weeks time but I can't find an obvious lifting point. - How do I lift it? - strap around the bed bracing? - Does anyone know what it weighs? - I'd guess at about 3/4 ton.

It seems to have a camlock chuck mount, does anyone know if it's the same as a Chipmaster?

I haven't looked in detail yet but I believe it has a collet chuck, is this likely to be useable with/without mods, in a Chipmaster?

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

I hope the deafening silence doesn't mean I've offended people in some way... Surely someone knows or has an opinion about Holbrooks ...

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Dave

The best place to ask this question is probably the Yahoo group devoted to Holbrook lathes

Aside from Yahoo and their bloody ads it's a good group.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Thanks Charles, I didn't know such a group existed.

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

Yes, and I am reasonably happy with it, but it is a 'B' ....

Reply to
Mike Hopkins

Hi I bought one of these about 6 weeks ago. The chap thought it weighed about a ton and a quarter. It weighs considerably more. I had to assist the Hiab arm to offload as we were on a slope and the arm could not rotate around with the Holbrook loaded as it was having to 'lift' it as it swivelled since the lorry was facing down slope. The Hiab has managed 1.5 tonnes in the past. It was 'groaning' as the Lathe was loaded on a completely flat surface. Hope this helps. Do you have any steadies for it you want to off load? Or a far tool post? Just a thought. I am wiring mine up next week after the sparks rewires the electrical supply to the shed. I found out if I did it, it would invalidate my home insurance. So a bit of a delay. You may meet a stony silence on the Holbrook owners pages. It's a bit like a disease owning a Holbrook Lathe sort of gets into the bloodstream and you never get over it, or so I am reliably informed. The chap who said this has three so it could well be true. Hope you like it. Really amazing machines. Regards, Turning Grumpy

Reply to
Turning Grumpy

Don't expect any rational response when you reply to five year old threads :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

...and what makes you think the age of the thread should make any difference?? ;-

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree