RDG v G.H.Thomas dividing head

I've been comparing these two devices and cannot spot any real difference other than the RDG is cheaper and ready made and the Thomas one is a kit from Hemingway. Has anyone else got an opinion?

Reply to
1501

The RDG one looks great value to me. Saw one at the last show I attended (Warwick?) and as you say, looks exactly like a Thomas VDH. No idea how well it is made though.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Tony Jeffree writes

Yes, in fact it looks from the photo to be so similar that it would, but for one important fact, infringe the Design Right under S 213 of the Copyrights, Designs and Patents Act of 1988. (AFAIK, GHT licensed his designs and drawings to Hemingway, which still sells them albeit after 2 changes of ownership.)

The important fact is that, sadly, such rights did not exist before the

1988 act, and designs published before then were protected only by copyright, making it more problematical to pursue remedies. GHT published the book in 1983, and I think the design might have been in ME even earlier. Even so, if the rights were mine, I should be considering a chat with Messrs Sue, Grabbit and Run.

I made a GHT VDH in the 80s, and I certainly learned more about precision engineering from that than almost anything else. Still, life is short, and if someone had offered a good quality ready-made version at the time I would have been tempted.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

VWP (very well put). l like this phrase. The engineer's dilemma... Dirk

Reply to
PG1D/PA-11Ø12

I, too, have made a GHT VDH but his Universal Pillar Tool is still to finish. With one of these Mill/Drill affairs, I bought a Vertex dividing head but with the ability to be tilted to form a rotary table and with a Myford nose to fit my lathes. OK the Vertex is too big for the Myfords but I would still like a headstock dividing attachment and a graduation marking tool by R.Main but one which automatically turns with each stroke- done by F J Langfield in ME. This would work in conjunction with the GHT HDA.

So I agree with David and this would have enabled me to watch another set of wheels do the thinking.

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

All my geese have come home - or will on Thursday. More of this later!

I knew that there was something wrong or different with the RDG tool. The constant storms and computer problems delayed me( actually, I am at a dithering age but Mum's the word) Of course, what is part of the GHT tooling is missing. from the RDG version. Has any other one of us spotted the missing bits?

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

No conspiracy, John! People asked about the views about the tools. When GHT designed his version, he subsequently modified it to include the ability to go from the lathe and vertical slide to the milling machine as well. He left the head portion to have a supported facility which the RDG version doesn't seem to possess. There are other missing bits!

If you recall, Chaddock adopted the same sort of support for the Quorn.

Yer pays yer money-- blah blah

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

The RDG isn't as complete as that of G H Thomas, as the word is, Gerald Bull was doing the drawings as a favour some years back, when suddenly he succumbed to terminal perforation. In all probability, you're acquainted with the perforator.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Tom for your comments. Having built the GHT beast( and learned from it), I was merely issuing some words of caution to those who are kitting out workshops- and was 'going on a bit' as is my wont. GHT had gone a long way to incorporate so many details over the years- before he, too, had to succumb to the ravages of old age and infirmary(?). Oddly, I was indirectly thanking one of our number for a contribution to a national cancer charity. Didn't know that clair voyance was part of the forum. Oh, well!

I think that it would interest a lot of us if we knew that we could,say, fit Myford collets or other ones or chucks and faceplates. GHT did say Versatile.

Meantime, I await further valued comments.

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I hope nobody thought I set out to raise a stir against RDH or criticise the Hemingway kit. (Horses for courses and all that). I was trying to seek readers views on the merits of ready made or "rolling ones own". If one wants an excellent project the kit is an excellent way to go. Alternately if you just want to get on and do some dividing of small work I guess the RDH machine is for you.

Reply to
1501

For those of us who do not have a genuine GHT head and can only see the inadequate picture on the RDG site, can you explain in less cryptic terms exactly what is 'missing' from the RDG item? What, for example, is the 'supported facility' that allows the transfers? What other missing bits are there?

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Tom, Surprisingly, the Michelin man was! He was 'tired'

( nota bene- the quality of the prose is improving- but I'll try not to go into the langue D'oc which is my second language)

Toutes Mes Felicitations

Don Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Sometimes wonder about people that know all about missing bits off tools,refurbing old Myfords because they bought a clapped out one and yet at the same time are always on about how many Mercedes they have and homes abroad,have several tool and cutter grinders and have read just about every book ever published.

Do they ever actually make anything ?

Allan

Reply to
Allan Waterfall

When you leave school after a nigh none existing education in the war years, the only book which wasn't pulped was the Bible. It does contain a bit about the Parable of the Talents and how one can manage with a lot or a very little to do things. Obviously, I come from the no hopers of Tyneside pit villages so one cannot expect miracles.

Like that tiny few who managed to surface out that dirt and filth, I retired some 23 years ago. I don't need to work anymore and I can do things.

The important thing in that Bible was to remember about ' a tenth of my goods' or my time or whatever. My little ginger headed erk has never forgotten those days. After almost 60 years and a massive bike smash, he still calls me 'corporal' All I got him was a shilling more a day to feed that immaciated 6 stone body. Johnnie has his War Pension. It took me 49 years but that guy used to mend aeroplanes that I had to fly in.

I retired from work 23 years ago. I can't quite remember what I did but hope that the rubber tree that replaced me is being better looked after. One thing that came out of all this was an old man- well, he looked old. He gave his time to me and I now work to return the help that he gave me.

I've now chucked my hat into the ring. I was quite content to play about with models and things of little consequence. All that I thought was that I had to account to my God in due course. Seems not. Pick my hat out of the ring- if you dare.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Oleum perdisti.

Sen. Martinius

Reply to
Tom

So you're into walking?

Reply to
Tom

No man goes further than he knows not where he is going Oliver Cromwell or

Sir Walter Raleigh to QE1

'Fain would i climb yet fear I to fall'

And Good Queen Bess replied

'If thy heart fail thee, cimb not at all'

I think that signing 'Fergus O'More' or the Long GreyMan of Ben MacDhui might just fit.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Like I said, you're into rambling...

Reply to
Tom

OK, I have made a GHT VDH- I can go rambling because I am the only one so far who has addressed the problem- for this guy.

Clearly, it is impossible to download a comparison between two fairly similar tools when I haven't seen one of them. I have suggested that the guy can do no better than than to buy the book for the differences- and if you have the access to what the newer drawings were, I think that we would all like to see them.

Just for the record, I believe that we have a guy who does rotary tables for a living who has added his glib comments. He could have helped the guy. I believe for the record that another makes division plates etc.

If we are going off for a ramble, let's visit all the viewpoints.

Somewhat annoyed

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Well thankyou for answering anyway. I do have the book in question and with the help of it I finally managed to work out what you might mean.

BTW, since you went all biblical in your footer: try Acts 19.32

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison