Sieg X0 mill

I have the above mill and am irritated by the need to turn it on and off by the speed control knob. (If it is turned off by the switch, something unlatches and the knob has to be returned to the OFF position before it will restart.) Does anyone know of a modification that I, as an electrical ignoramus, can carry out to allow the machine to be stopped and started by the switch, while still retaining the ability to change speeds?

Cliff Coggin Kent UK

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

This is a "safety feature" and is built into the motor speed controller, so I doubt that changing the way it works would be accessible to "an electrical ignoramus" I'm afraid. Effectively what they have done is to give you the equivalent of a zero-volt release - if you have a power cut which is restored a few minutes later, the machine doesn't immediately start spinning; you have to take some deliberate action (turning the speed control to the off position) before the motor can start again. It may also be a deliberate design choice so that the motor current on startup is smaller than it would be if you started it on full speed, so fixing the "problem" might well involve replacing the speed control altogether.

My advice would be to live with it.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That's a shame, as I am more than willing to live with the consequences of an automatic restart after power failure. Having looked into the panel I see a relay which may be the zero-volt release you mention. If this proves to be the case I am tempted to find a way of locking it closed. Does that sound feasible, or am I being utterly silly?

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

......do you *really* want an answer? --

Chris Edwards

Without access to the circuit diagram and the knowledge to in terpret what you see, the word that most adequately describes the probable outcome of random messing with the innards of your controller is "toast". Does that help?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Point taken Thanks all the same.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

replying to Cliff Coggin, Paul wrote: Hello Tony - My mill X0 got very hot so I turned it off and waited for it to cool down. It was also smelling like something was over heating. When I tried to turn it on again I only see the green light on the switch. No variable motor on. I have now started to investigate the problem. The fuse is OK and the pot switch. The motor runs on its own out of the mill. I have checked the following components One-to-one transformer & Relay, both are working. I am now looking at changing the Tryac. haven't a circuit diagram and that would be handy. Any suggestions or help you could give would be appreciated.

Reply to
Paul

Regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

Replying to a 9 year old post and asking for help isn't good practice. Start a new thread describing your problem.

Regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

On the gripping hand, One should probably steer clear of miserable gits like me that respond in a way to discourage posts on a USENET forum that is no longer as active as it had been.

Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand