Single phase motor

Hi again.

Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has a problem, it's three phase and I only have one :o(

How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart sell motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for size, shaft dia. mounting bla bla

Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Carr

Stephen

I reckon you'd be better off keeping the 3 phase motor and running the motor via an inverter (sometimes called a VFD - variable frequency drive) I run my lathe this way and so do many others. The benefits are:

  • Variable speed control of the motor
  • Very smooth motor (single phase motors vibrate as part of their design!)
  • No grubby motor changing process etc

A trip to the Google Groups archive for this NG should tell you a lot. The one proviso is that your motor has to be able to be wired in "delta" rather than "star". If you look under the terminal cover for the motor if there are 6 terminals you're ok, if there are only three it's more difficult.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Well ,don't have the lathe yet, but its a denford viceroy TDS, I only want a ruff price for a VSD so I can decide if I can afford the lathe.

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Carr

Well the price of a VFD depends on the motor rating. According to Tony Griffiths site Viceroy motors varied from 0.75HP to

1.5HP. A llower power VFD is probably sub 100 quid with the bigger one 50% more. Of course you can pay a shed load more than that.

Like on this completed ebay auction

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Stephen, We fit quite a few invertors or VFD's [ not VSD ] to our range of machines. In the past we have passed on our older models to the Model Engineering fraternity.

It has now got to the point where on a cost versus features scale the older models are not worth the hassle.

To get an idea of what the modern invertors cost go to

and type in 431-9184 in the search box. This will list a very good range of low cost invertors that can beat most S/H pricing.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

I bought an AC Tech SF230Y 3hp variable frequency unit for 255 quid inc VAT from

about three years ago. I use it to power a four-post lift (I play with cars) and am completely satisfied with it. You do need a little confidence in matters electrical. I chose this route rather than convert the motor for two reasons; starting torque limitations of the single phase motors sold by Machine Mart and the like, which would not be relevant for a lathe; and so I could look for other cheap three-phase machinery. I'm still looking.

-- Kevin Poole

********Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)************** Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus