Sintered Iron or Phospher Bronze?

I need to rebush a distributor shaft on a 40 year old Lucas distributor.

The original bush was sintered iron, pressed in then honed in-situ. As I'm having difficulty sourcing sintered iron what are your thoughts on using sintered phospher bronze? As it runs at half engine speed we're talking top rpm of 3000. The shaft has helical oil ways which are deep enough to survive the light cylindrical grinding I'll need to give it to clean up the surface.

Regards,

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

When I last refurbished one of these (about 15 years ago) the bushes were still available from Lucas and also from a firm called Commercial Ignition who made clones of Lucas parts. I think they are based in Kettering and used to be very helpful. I think they were sintered phosphor bronze bushes. I would imagine that you should still be able to find them at an autojumble if no one else can help.

Regards, Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

Was sintered material used because it has any special characteristics, or just as an economical way to make very large numbers of them? I suspect the latter.

Cheers Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

I don't know if they are still going but you could have a look for a company called 'Meehanite'. I am not sure that I have spelt it correctly but it was something like that. (It is over thirty years since I last came into contact with them).

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Just had a look. Try

Neil Ellwood

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

with sintered bushes you soak in oil for 24 hours before fitting the bronze is in effect a honey comb wich stores the oil

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Andrew,

It's 3/4" external, a tad under 1/2" internal (.489) and about 2.5" long

Cheers,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Andrew

I can let you have some nice centrifugally cast iron bar if you want to try that. It machines really nice with no blow holes or other crap included. E-mail your postal address and I will send it off for you in return for the recent favour you did me.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Procter

I have one reference for Sintered Iron Bushes

karammundi.inet

If you're still there, cast iron runs best against cast iron, if memory serves.

Reply to
RustyHinge