Small Blast Cabinets

Does anyone have one one of the small machine-mart or similar blast cabinets?

I was wondering how effective they were, and what sort of air supply you may be running with them. I have a use for one on a restoration project coming up shortly, and would most likely need to use aluminium oxide (for steel) and glass beads for aluminium in the cabinet.

I have a 3HP 9.5cfm compressor with a 50litre tank, will this be adequate for working in short bursts?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

mines 3 hp and 14 cfm 200 ltr tank............ just keeps the gun going.......... just

blast for about 2 mins then i wait about 1.5 mins for the tank to fill again .

maybe get a spare tank and hook it up to your system .......and your away

so your next question is .... has anyone got a spare tank .

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

I have one of the bench mounted ones. My 14cfm 3hp compressor keeps up for a while.

BUT the big issue is visibility the supplied little lovolt florescent is pathetic. I added a couple of modified 12v halogens made for desk use and sold for next to nothing in B&Q. This really does help once the dust really kicks up. When they no longer work due to the battering just get a couple more!

Wayne.....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I have a fairly large ( 3 foot wide?) floor standing Guyson cabinet, when run using a 23 cfm hydrovane it was similar to previous reply, ok for a few minutes, then stop and start again. I now have a 35 cfm hydrovane and have to say it is excellent. I used to be able to (stupidly) put my bare hand in front of the gun with the old compressor, certainly wouldn't risk attempting it now !!! If you are in the North London area, your more than welcome to blast away on a Saturday, there is glass in it as we speak !! Incidentally, the old compressor is now surplus to requirements, so if anyone wants a hydrovane for about £100, let me know. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Where in North London? I'd be grateful to be able to blast a few bits and bobs from time to time.

Reply to
Dave Baker

blast

supply

glass

I put a slightly smaller nozzle on my Guyson cabinet and now my compressor keeps up ok and there is negligable drop in cleaning performance.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Enfield, just off the A10 contact me direct if you wish, emimec.19 at btinternet dot com (Change that to the obvious) Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Peter your welcome to come and use mine saturdays would be the best days its a 3 foot with dust extraction and I have a fine beads for alluminum PS thanks for the eagle info

Andrew Bishop

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Hi,

I have a small-ish bench mounted clarke one I bought from JS. It works well but doesn't have any sort of dust extraction, just a filter thing. What kind of thing would I need to look at? And, really silly question, but does that mean I would need to keep the media topped up? how often do you guys replace the media, and how do you change it for something else?

Cheers,

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

I've also got one of the bench mounted clarke ones, but I've got mine connected to an old vacuum cleaner. It's an old vac type, but a buisness version with a nice 3inch hose that fits perfectly onto the 'filter' housing. I found the foam filter choked quite quickly, so threw it away, and the set-up works pretty well. With having the vacuum going constantly, I find the media stays pretty clean, as all the dust is constantly drawn out. Some good media does get drawn out if you happen to aim the gun the wrong way, but not enough to worry about. Off course, this whole set-up goes majorly wrong when somebody wants to borrow the vacuum cleaner, and decides to empty it's contents back into the blast cabinet, because 'they didn't want to through away the grit'! Yes, they nearly ended up having the vacuum cleaner put somewhere that lacks sunshine!

moray

Reply to
moray

Many thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like my little compressor won't have enough guts, so will look at other solutions.

Andrew, thank you very much for the offer, I may well take you up on that, but I have so much to do I don't want to abuse the privilege! I've just bought an old 2-stroke Yamaha 350 from the mid 70's (used to have one when I was younger and slimmer...) and it needs a lot of restoration - plenty of rust and spotty alloy.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I should of mentioned, mine gets run of a 3hp compressor. It can keep up, but means it's running continuously. Not really a problem, unless you're doing big items.

moray

Reply to
moray