small canadian gloat

Reading the local at the local coffee shop instead of talking to me wife when .... woo hoo! Showed me wife - go have a look at it, says she.

So off Aa goes, with permission to buy, and returns home an hour later with a box 33" long, 14" wide and 10" deep, containing 4 trays, all sub- divided, and each sub-division holding its own part no. of Meccano. Gentleman about my age who started with a No. 1 for Christmas and accumulated over the years. With the assortment came the No.1 manual, No. 7 manual and the No. 9 manual. Also an Erector electric motor (110v.) Lots of gears included and universal couplings.

Oh my!

One hundred and fifty Canadian dollars!

Am Aa the lucky little 70 year old. And this is in the bush, about 400 miles north of Vancouver. Aa can't get over it, hinny.

Mike in Burns Lake, BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

i scored a set this summer ..

as far as i can tell its about five or six sets of macano number one ....plus a couple of six speed electric 12 volt motors

all loose but mostly un-played with. =A35

will use to build prototypes before i make the real thing

should prove quickly that some of my ideas work or not

that set of yours sounds like its in the genuine number 10 box ... sets like that have been sold on ebay for upwards of =A31000 !!!!

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

£1000?? ... try this Number10 set on FleaBay at £1899.99 + £50 p&p

Personally, I couldn't afford the damned p&p !!!!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Drool! I had lots of small Meccano sets as a boy. A Juneero set too! Remember those?

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Funny you should mention Meccano must be a coincidence of meccano proportions .

Yesterday I went to a friends workshop to borrow some of those skates that are used for moving machinery (I have to get my lathe and mill moved next weekend).

I hadn't seen this fellow for some time and we were yacking about this and that, while talking I was having a few sneeky glances around his workshop .I spotted what I thought was a wooden machinist's tool box .I enquired if it was a tool box and If I could take some measurements to build a copy ,turns out it's a huge Meccano set in original chest.My eyes popped when he opend the bottom drawer. Then he showed me a Stanley No1 plane and also a No2 both in pristine condition amoungst boxes of other tools that belonged to his late father.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I certainly remember Juneero which I much preferred to Meccano; if I remember correctly, it had a multi-purpose tool which acted as a punch, shear and bender. Its only real disadvantage was that you had to paint it to prevent it from rusting.

My 1939 Army & Navy Stores catalogue lists a Meccano #10 set at 255/- (=A312.75 in noddy money)

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

I think I'm in the same situation as you Dave but I console myself with the thought that the "lad" (if indeed it was a lad) this was bought for, didn't want it either. My Meccano collection was bent, twisted, scratched and multi coloured (including rust) and fully worn out by the time I swapped it for a pair of batting pads and gloves. The gloves particularly, "marked" you out as a serious cricketer in my day. Shouldn't have bothered though the gloves were obviously "broken" as I didn't score many runs with them. :-((

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Somebody should have told you. The bat is for scoring runs, not the gloves :-))

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

I certainly remember Juneero which I much preferred to Meccano; if I remember correctly, it had a multi-purpose tool which acted as a punch, shear and bender. Its only real disadvantage was that you had to paint it to prevent it from rusting.

My 1939 Army & Navy Stores catalogue lists a Meccano #10 set at 255/- (£12.75 in noddy money)

Bob

No rust problems with my Juneero tool. The main problem was the pot metal body. I used the tool for many years after the company went belly up. But, in the end the body of the tool developed a crack. These days I would simply make a new part from mild steel, or better. At that time, only a few hand tools were available. :(

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I disagree. I was once forced (I was a rugby player, but we shared the same ground) to play a match and ended up facing the last two balls requiring 3 runs to win. Rather than treat me with the contempt I deserved, the bowler smashed the first one into my ribs and then tried to decapitate we with the last ball, which somehow went flying behind me for four. Only when I took the glove off to see the nice new red lining, was it clear what I hadn't touched it with the bat:)

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Cliff, a man after my own heart :-) While at school and captain of the under thirteen side, I was =93picked=94 to play for the full school side against one of those old fashioned =93fully approved schools=94 the government used to run. Our captain was sure that we would win easily and I relaxed when I was listed to bat at number eleven. Problem was they had this huge fast bowler, at least I think he was fast I never actually saw the ball, but with just a few runs left to win I was marched in to partner said captain who was on about 50 something. I was shaking so much, the first ball I "clipped elegantly" through the slips for four; well I think that was where it went. The next ball I closed my eyes and ducked and the keeper took it goalkeeper fashion; last ball of the over I drove powerfully past leg slip =96 again for four. VBG I can=92t say what the =93open mouthed=94 bowler said to me on this forum as he strode to field but it certainly sounded painful. However, my luck was in and the captain was out next over with just three runs needed, fortunately I didn=92t get to see if the ball would actually fit where the bowler said it would :-))

I wonder if sport at school is still played in such spirit.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk