small pillar drill identification?

Threaded View
I recently found (and bought) a small, neat pillar drill:

http://galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10152/drill_stand.jpg
http://galootcentral.com/components/cpgalbums/userpics/10152/drill_stand_rule.jpg

Following careful observation I note:

* The tightening bolts are 3/8" whitworth
* The pillar is 2 cm diameter, 45 cm length
* The base casting is marked "800" and "2B"
* The gear assembly casting is marked "800" and "2A"
* The movable rest is marked "800"
* The main drive wheel is marked "800"
* The handle crank is stamped "foreign"
* The handle is covered in transparent plastic of some kind.
* the crank is removeable, and the drive wheel 'V' grooved for a belt
* the bearings are plain (not ball)
* the machining and finish are rather nice

I think (from web searching) the "foreign" means that it was imported, probably
from continental Europe between 1900-1930.

I'm guessing in this case "continental Europe" would be Germany or Switzerland.

It's so small and neat, I'm guessing it's somewhere in the realm of model
engineering, toolroom. horology or jewellery.

So - can anyone identify this tool?

     BugBear (who used it do drill a 1mm hole to repair a tap holder on Sunday)

Re: small pillar drill identification?
On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:46:04 +0100, bugbear

Isn't that nice! In good nick too. Interesting the use of Whitworth
threads on a "metric" machine. You definately need to dispose of it,
no guard around the cutting area, unguarded gears with trap points.
Pass it to me and I will crush it for you <G> Probably came from
"Gamages" or somewhere similar. How much did you pay, if you don't
mind me asking?

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!

Re: small pillar drill identification?

 Probably came from

Now that takes me back. I bought my first electric drill from Gamages in
about 1967. A Stanley-Bridges Wasp it was, and it lasted ten years, unlike
its replacement made by Black & Decker which was a useless heap of junk that
put me off the brand for life..

Cliff Coggin.

Re: small pillar drill identification?
On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:36:34 +0100, "Cliff Coggin"

I have two Bridges drills amongst the collection in the garage. A
1/4inch MkII "Neonic" and a 5/16 inch "De-Luxe" Mk 1 "Neonic". Neither
get a lot of use! Actually thinking about it I have 5 mains drills and
6 battery drills, must have a clear out!
Talking to a fellow dog walker in the park and he has 87 HO gauge
Engines!

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!

Site Timeline