smoke oil

Does anyone know what the oil distillate is, as used in a smoke generator for models? (The smoke is generated by a small heater that vaporises the oil). It is a very thin oil .... and rather expensive buying it via the hobby retail outlets as it is imported from Germany.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Don't know if this will help but have you ever been to a disco and seen / smelled / chocked on the smoke machine 'smoke'. If they use the same oil it is around 3 quid a litre. See

Gooigling will find other suppliers.

-- =20 cerebus

Reply to
cerberus

baby oil is the best i have seen this used on numerous planes and i

smells go to

-- bluescoobydo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluescoobydoo's Profile:

this thread:

bluescoobydoo

And smoke liquid for disco use usually comes in a choice of flavours, though I've yet to see it in "welsh steam coal"

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Try

and search for "smoke fluid", that should give you a choice:-). A friend of mine uses it in model trains and it appears to produce visually the same effect as the stuff sold in tiny containers.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Try Johnsons Baby Oil.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

When we generated smoke for wind tunnel work we used Shell Ondina. If I remember it is a non toxic oil used for lubricating food machinery. Reasonable smell. Hope that helps a bit.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Many thanks for all the suggestions.