Sroll saw - cutting non ferrous metals

I've just been given a PowerCraft PFZ-400RN Scroll saw which has one mention in the booklet that it will cut plastics and non-ferrous metals. Although there are instructions about using it with wood there is nothing else about cutting metal eg thickness, type of blade. As this is the only use I might put it to, has anyone cut brass or aluminium with a scroll saw and could give me some advice?

I've had a look on the net but information seems to be on woodworking sites so not about metals. I would assume that a thicker blade and a slower cutting speed would be required but this saw only has one speed

1440/min.

Thanks for any help

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

The blade requirements for plastics and non ferrous metals are not that dissimilar to those for wood. Basically a coarse tooth pattern whereas ferrous metals like steel require a finer tooth pattern. Think of a logsaw for wood compare to a hacksaw for steel. Aluminium in particular requires a coarse tooth pattern whether with a saw or milling cutter and is best lubricated with paraffin. Brass cuts wet or dry although lubricant helps and doesn't require such a coarse tooth pattern.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Alan

I think you may find the speed of your saw too high for cutting brass, though I don't know about aluminum. I bought a 2 speed Rexon scroll saw for cutting brass and steel (for clock making), and I found the high speed (similar to your machine) impossible to use. I just kept burning out/breaking blades. Using low speed (700/min) it is just about ok, though I still go through a lot of blades, and I think a lower speed still would be better. If you can access John Wildings book on Tools for the Clockmaker and Repairer, it contains a good article on cutting metal with a scroll saw. John's machine is a Hegner, but a lot of the information is relevant to other machines. He had to fit a low speed conversion to get good results.

HTH Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

Thanks Dave and Mike, it's as I thought the speed will probably be too high. I'll have to have a look to see if there might be a way of slowing it down. It's only 90W so I wonder if a light dimmer switch might work.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

I put junior hacksaw blades in mine for cutting brass ..its hard on the fingers when you are trying to do small pieces of it .

you can roughly shape them , then you can even use a Carborundum tile saw in it to get more detail..the tile saw you can turn upside down when it wears away in one area.

you will only be able to slow it down with a dimmer switch if it had a brush motor .which it doesn't .

perhaps you could put a golf trolley / invalid's kart 12 volt or 24 volt dc motor on it .plenty of these seem to turn up at car boots and with the speed controls

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark