Threading hardened tube?

hi,just a quick question,

how would the collective wisdom cut an external thread into a hardene tube?

visions of mounting (somehow) dremal with cutoff wheel on lathe cros slide and engaging screw cutting gears?

any other ideas?

Dav

-- small.plane

----------------------------------------------------------------------- small.planes's Profile:

this thread:

small.planes

hardened

cross

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Im not sure about the hardness, the 'tube' is an airgun gun barrel i

that helps any? Im only assuming its hardened, but as i only have one havent tried anything yet (files etc), wanted to have a plan first :) I dont yet have the lathe ill use to do it on, tho it will be harrison when it gets here, as my unimat is way to small... ;)

Dav

-- small.plane

----------------------------------------------------------------------- small.planes's Profile:

this thread:

small.planes

You will find the barrel isn't hardened. I just cut down and rethreaded an old Weihrauch for a friend with no problem at all. It cut perfectly with HSS tools.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

:) excellent

well then thats another one to add to the easy todo list for the ne machine.

Dav

-- small.plane

this thread:

small.planes