Torx/Star bis - recommendation sought

I think Torx bits are same as Star bits.

I know the series goes from T1 to T100.

Not sure what the suitable hobbyist range would likely be. I suppose T6 to T25 maybe. I've got some cheap Torx keys down to T10, but T10 is not small enough.

Anyway, I want bits. I usually go for decent quality. Are we then talking something like Bosch brand? Extra hard version maybe? Or is that overkill? TIA.

Reply to
Richard

Having talked about bits, ther is a nice Proxxon screwdriver set:

Torx: T5, T6, T8, T10 & T15

Reply to
Richard

T27 for pressure treated deck screws, T30 for my Honda.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm actually thinking, screwdrivers for the small sizes, up to about T9, and bits above T9. You see many sets starting about T10.

Reply to
Richard

I buy them as needed for the tool kit for each machine, and haven't seen a clear rule of which type is best for a size range because accessibility and the necessary tightening torque vary too much, as between laptops and carbide insert holders. I think in general 1/4" hex drive is good up to about T30 because you can turn it with a screwdriver handle if access is good and torque light, or a Chapman ratchet or box wrench otherwise. I put one-piece Torx L-wrenches or screwdrivers in the tool kits for chainsaws etc for use outdoors where small bits are easily lost and square socket drive ones in the car toolkits.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins