Triangular edge

Hi, pondering on how to grasp a 60 degrees triangle straight edge in the vise. Want to scrape it flat after milling, so some force is involved, hi. Left one of three sides undone, remaining a 30mm a circular segment. BR, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

When I made a 60 degree template, (215mm long by 55mm high) I fitted 12mm dia handles to the ends, screwed in and held with Loctite. I could then hold the template in the vice with the handles.

A better way is to use a sash cramp

held in a vice to grip the ends of the triangle straight edge.

Don't forget to scrape both of the contact faces. It's almost as easy to scrape all three faces...

I made the 60° template for the dovetails of a Hardinge lathe, In a few weeks time I need to make a 50° template for a Beaver milling machine.

PS, I must try making a Swiss type pull scraper :-)

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks Mark..! That sash clamp-idea looks promising. I will make a wide

400mm wide U from a square bar. The edge screwed in between with two bolts in the handle holes. Must have a try with a V-grooved wooden block too. BTW, made a Swiss scraper from a cheap triangle lathe insert, clamped onto a 10mm drill rod, bent at "the Agathon angle". Works ok, but it is kind of difficult to keep the insert tracking the surface, a bit wobbly. I think the rod must be square and a lot thicker to give better "stearing". The Bahco inserts are much wider. Milling an almost perfect 60 degree angle on round stock can be done by using two axial bolts as indexer / clamping flats. For the second flat a strip is needed of the same thckness as was cut away before. Have a nice day, Dirk
Reply to
Dirk

How about a 3-jaw lathe chuck, with an aluminum bar in the toolholder to support the free end?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Na rijp beraad schreef Jim Wilkins :

Mmmm, my vise does not have a toolholder... This afternoon I did some scraping using an aluminium angle to protect the top. Skid out only trice, hi.

Reply to
Dirk