Trouble at t'mill ?

I am a member of the forum over on the Model Engineers site, currently known as My Hobby Store or better known as My Knob Is Sore

For subscribers to ME and MEW you get access to some of the past issues, in the case of MEW it used to be from 122 to the current 164. For a yearly fee of =A329 you could also access from 1 to 121 using an online magazine reader which also gave the option of printing pages out of the mag and if needed the whole mag.

Recently they have changed the reader with no warning to a flash based reader that is lower quality than the previous one and only lets you print 1 page.

Of course in typical Nexus, MAP, Magicalia, MHS organisation [ or lack off ] this has gone down like a lead balloon and the moderator is working overtime deleting posts :-)

My question?

Has anyone access to the saved versions of the mag as pdf's before the new reader.

I have a few but not the whole set, these incidentally are for my own use and study on my computer, I have the full set of paper editions but late at night a quick referral to a subject doesn't mean a trip out to the workshop for a paper copy.

My email addy is john [at] stevenson -engineers.co.uk

Reply to
John S

I find the new viewer is faster and more responsive than the old one, which was very slow and clunky. What's annoying me, apart from the print one page thing, is there's no

1-click way to view a full page at whatever size your browser window happens to be at that moment. You have to fiddle with the scroll wheel, and you can only scroll to a size that is slightly larger than your window, so the page moves up and down if you move your mouse whilst reading, most irritating. Also you can't view a double page spread, which the old viewer did. I did try to print whole copies to pdf using the old viewer, but never managed it, when I told it to print pages 1 to 72 or whatever it went off to prepare to print and never came back. I tried it on Linux and Windoze with various browsers, never managed to save a single copy. I'm not renewing my subscription to MEW anyway as there's not a lot of interest to me these days, I'm afraid I'm one of those who doesn't want to read about 3D design and CNC machines, I deal with computers quite enough in my day job.
Reply to
pcb1962

John S wrote

Deleting degrogatory comment? Isn't that the preserve of Pravda in the old days and North Korea more recently?

Can't say that I visit the ME/MEW website much although I do admire the editor's approach to his titles. However if you open the Pandora's box of user generated content to have to be willing to roll with the punches.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

I think Pravda is a good description, they have been getting serious flack from the North American subscribers over cost. There are three costing bands, UK, where the mag is mailed direct, Rest of World [ ROW ] which is Asia, Europe Australia, again where the mag is mailed direct and North America and Canada [NA] where the mag is shipped to a distributor and mailed out.

ROW takes about a week delivery and cost about a third more than UK.

NA takes 4 to 6 weeks and costs double what it does in the UK

NA readers won't to know why they can't have theirs mailed like ROW and why it costs double.

Some of the replies from the head shed made side clutching a national pastime. Because there was no answer to the question they just deleted the whole thread.

Ja Wol

Reply to
John S