Wanted: pillar drill

I've been looking for a decent floor standing pillar drill on eBay but they always seem to be zillions of miles away from Hampshire. Does anyone know of any machinery auctions coming up in the South?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I don't know about auctions but what about G M Tools in west Sussex;

I've bought kit from them in the past and was very happy.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

PPbid.com

Reply to
mark

Thanks, I'd looked at the Home & Workshop site but forgotten about G&M - but buying from a dealer would not be first choice.

NoSpam

Thanks - nothing at the mo but that's certainly a site that's worth checking regularly

NoSpam

I don't know about auctions but what about G M Tools in west Sussex;

I've bought kit from them in the past and was very happy.

In

this morning, there is a dealer offering large numbers for £60+

Reply to
Alun

Check out

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

Thanks, another site worth watching regularly.

Reply to
NoSpam

See adverts from Steve Lilliman of Mansfield on

He has a lot for sale and I think he may deliver. Tom.

Reply to
tomol

On or around Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:17:37 +0000, NoSpam enlightened us thusly:

depends what size and what work you want it to do. In the end I got bored with trying to get a good one cheap, and bought a cheap new one, from Axminster - "Perform" brand lightweight radial arm. However, if I need to drill anything big, I have a bigger one. I wouldn't have got such a light/cheap machine as a single pillar drill, it struggles with much over a

10mm hole in steel, and doesn't really have enough speeds for bigger than that anyway.

The white Axminster branded stuff seems quite good for the money, though, and can be got for not much more than a decent quality s/h one - bearing in mind that a decent quality one that's cheap is also going to be old and probably well-used, and may need remedial work to get it back to good order.

Such things as Meddings or Fobco etc. if not too old and in good nick fetch big money.

By the time you factor in the hassle of going to look at things, then going and collecting them, unless you get lucky, the advantages of a new machine with guarantee and delivery included add up...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks. I just had a long chat to him. He seemed like a decent bloke so I've bought a Denford pillar drill on trust and it should be here on Monday. Cost of shipping is a bit steep but it solves the problem - unless it turns-out to be a pile of crap. I'll report back once it's arrived.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

True, some while ago i went to three auctions looking for a decent 14 x 40 lathe or similar. All were high priced crap plus 20 % auction fees plus VAT, so two people x 3 auctions worked out to 6 full working days lost.

Following week rang TOS up and ordered a new lathe to be delivered to the door. Best thing I ever did, should have done it before even stepping foot out the door and wasting a week just looking.

John S.

Reply to
John S

The drill just arrived. It's a Denford Viceroy "20" with 4-step pulleys and a dual voltage motor. It seems to be in pretty good condition and runs smoothly. The only surprise is that it's a little lower than I was expecting after using a bench drill for years - are all Viceroys about 1220 to the bottom of the spindle? Also, the carrier for the spindle pulley has a some amount of vertical movement, is there an easy way to adjust this?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam