Where to buy (hard?) brass bar?

I need some pieces of brass that will be machined down to a shape that's

45x40x17, so I need something a little bigger than that. Can anyone suggest a supplier? Also, regular brass may mark a little too easily for this application - is there a harder brass that can still be milled without too much difficulty?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Dave, Try metal supermarket in Southampton. They are near the old southern TV studios. I normally use Clickmetal in Chandlers Ford for non ferrous stock but they don't list the size you want. For lots of other mail order suppliers use the materials link here

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Inches ? (m)m ? Thou ?

Boo2

Reply to
Boo

Thanks Bob (again!)

Reply to
NoSpam

OK, it's a fair cop (although it's hard to think of a home engineering application that would be in anything other than mm with those numbers)

Reply to
NoSpam

At one time NASA made a similar assumption about the units of measurement, and we all know what happened to Challenger as a result.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

French mm's or German ones? I seem to recall a few problems with the first airbus prototype where the two halves would not join together ... and they were building more off the same plans :)

Reply to
Lester Caine

Challenger and occupants met their demise because of O rings in the SRBs being operated out of spec - methinks you're think of a Mars orbiter that fell foul of a "units" SNAFU.

Reply to
NoSpam