aargh.. section is not *cutting* a surface ... =(

ok, thanks to help from local heroes i was able to follow the instructions in the helpfile to make a section through a surface.

HOWEVER, there appears no section-line in the drawing, even though I can make it appera in tools-> modelling sections

You can see for yourself by surface extruding a circle and warping it into a cone. Make a datum plane right through its middle, Make a Model/qlts section create a new drawing and insert a drawing view using aforementioned section and there it is: ONE circle.

I can't even explain how painful this is, I want to use this simple line from this simple surface and draw a complicated parametric detail on it. I know I can just thicken the surface, not only is this inserting extra model complexity I don't need, but in the drawing I end up with a crosshatch and all kinds of junk, suffice to say I *NEED* this. (it looks extra painful when I turn on clipping and visibility of the section in the model view, it shows me exactly what I want to show and I just can't get it into a drawing)

anywho, help is appreciated

wzzl

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

sjeeesj :

Include surfaces in drawing cross sections by setting the show_quilts_in_total_xsecs detail setup file option to yes.

in pro/detail helpfile under "To Include Surface Geometry in Cross-Sectional Views"

wzzl

st> ok,

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

take one step forward; take one back. It appears to be impossible to snap to the sectionline that appears in the drawing, or offset that particluar line for that matter.

one word: WTF!

wzzl

st> sjeeesj :

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

Don't know if these consititute the best options available.....

If you mean snapping to the curve created by the section (not Section Line) I think I'd look at putting an entity in the model to snap to (an axis normal to the section plane, intersection curve (hide after using), etc.)

Offsetting the curve; again in the model, create an intersection curve, project and offset in a sketched datum curve?

===================================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

...... oh, and you can snap to (note leader, for instance) to the section curve in an area cross section.

================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

correct, an area cross section is as palpable as any other drawing entity.

A workaround like creating an intersection line in the model is cumbersome (imagine a dome triangulated with 360 individual triangles, created with a nifty pattern) and makes me feel stupid, where we bought this fine piece of software to be smart & parametric.

wzzl

Jeff Howard wrote:

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

"stinky wizzleteet" wrote in message news:408d0a28$0$64453$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

: You can see for yourself by surface extruding a circle and warping it : into a cone. : Make a datum plane right through its middle, : Make a Model/qlts section : create a new drawing and insert a drawing view using aforementioned section : and there it is: ONE circle. : The problem, always, with surfaces is that Pro/e needs an enclosed volume so that it knows what is inside and what is outside the surface. When you cut this cone, you know, absolutely, irrefuteably, that the negative curvature of this circle means 'inside' the section. If the entire surface is not a closed volume, Pro/e doesn't understand that at all. Good programming would dictate, in such circumstances, that the user be asked to specify in what direction 'inside' lies. And a nice 'flip arrow' button, in case the default is in the wrong direction. You have neither, you have only the impossibility of sectioning outside the circle and of Pro/e deciding whichiswhich. Create your extruded circle/warped cylinder with 'capped ends'. Put this in your drawing and see if it can't figure out what is 'inside' the section.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

It's probably a bit late for this to be worth consideration, but I think what I'd do is create a simplified rep excluding the surface part (and base your drawing views on the simp rep). Write an IGES file from the surface part. Create a new part in the assembly, registered on the surface part and read the IGES in. You should get a quilt feature (may require setting an option like "close open surf...", or some such for the surfs to be auto stitched on import). This will allow for a one shot intersection curve to be created in the part. It's not totally non-associative, as you can make some changes, write out a new IGES file and reload it without loosing all the dependant features and annotations. You might lose some or most, depending on the type of change(s). I'm not up on the specifics, but I think if all the entities (and their id's) remain you will preserve at least some of the children.

It does seem "quirky" that the curves are usable in an area x-sec, but not a total x-sec. Wonder if it's been "fixed" in a newer build?

======================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Oooh joy !

by setting "crossec_type=new_style" one can snap to the section line of a surface !

BUT, using 'new_style" the rest of the model is not visible, only when I set the view to "hidden line" it appears, strange.

wzzl

Jeff Howard wrote:

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

Well, that is sorta cool. What appears to be happening (ref help) is a Z-Clip (aka Area Section) is being applied to surfs / quilts. I hope this is a work in progress, as I'd much rather be able to simply reference the section curves in a total x-sec just as though it were a "solid" being cut, see the surf edges behind the section plane (without copying them, at least, most of the time), etc.

Might mention that it's a Drawing Option (.dtl) setting vs. config.pro option, too. It also dumps me to the desktop if set in a drawing that has existing section views cutting quilts (but I'm on a pretty old build or may have a system problem; I've always been dumped to the desktop when trying to Z-Clip views).

Thanks for the feedback.

===========================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

might want to invest in installing linux, the odd behavior I have occasionaaly is almost entirely gone in linux my system is a dell 5150 nvidia fxgo5200 debian unstable kernel 2.6.4 (2.4.25, 2.6.2 etc) nvidia 5336 drivers xfce 4 desktop (talk about lightweight !) ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net for the wireless lan

When installing wildfire on debian you might get an openmotif issue (needs 2.3 if I remember correctly), apparently redhat (which is the distribution of choice by ptc) uses an openmotif version that debian deems volatile, which I resolved by either looking for a deb file on apt-get.org or upgrading to testing/unstable (which is still more stable than windows)

debian + xfce + openoffice + mozilla + wildfire = production beast !

Oh well, doesn't really matter what you use, I hear redhat is pretty good too lately with the new fedora core, which comes with debian-style package management tools.

wzzl

Jeff Howard wrote:

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

The thought keeps crossing my mind and I think the option will only become more attractive as time goes on.

"st> might want to invest in installing linux, ........

Reply to
Jeff Howard