Assembly Xsec

Hi people I'm creating a Xsec in a Assembly file. Do u know if it's possible to keep entire (not cut) some parts excluding them from Xsec? Thanks

Pier

Reply to
Pier Dil

Yes, select properties on the hatch, cycle trough each part and you can remove (dont remember the exact name)the hatch for the selected part.

Hugo

Pier Dil wrote:

Reply to
huggre

Yes I know But in this case you have the part cut in 3D and without hatching. I' d like to have the part NOT CUT ! I 'd like to see the assembly in 3D environment with some parts cut and with some other parts not. Bye Pier

Reply to
Pier Dil

Yes it is. You should aquaint yourself with the ZONE method of selecting and defining components for cross sectioning. Especially useful is zone creation by a quilt definition of the boundary of the zone. This quilt can be a series of copied, merged surfaces defining the exact parts you wish to have excluded. This is available when first creating the xsec by selecting Zone as the creation method (NOT Planar or Offset). As with most things in Pro/e, it helps if you create this zone ahead of time, with the tools that are optimally available. With "Inside/Outside" for component selection, you can use a quilt as the definition of what components belong in the cross section and which do not. The "recycle" arrows flip the direction (and provide yet another example of the heterogeous, amorphous, elastic definition that PTC/Pro/e has of GUI interface ~ and in Pro/e's case, it's about 6 dinstinct interfaces, 90% of which are still Menu Manager style of floating, separate windows. I just wish they'd get the idea of dedicated screen regions and doing everything in a common working area) Create your zone quilt that includes/excludes components outside of this xsec creation functionality. As with cross sectioning, in general, the setup is best done in Pro/MODEL, not Pro/DETAIL.

Reply to
David Janes

Thank you David. I tried unsuccessfully. The surface is closed, is made on part level. there is not any error messagge. With double click on section name nothing happens ! Anyway I understand your suggestion ! I'm sure you agree me if I say that it's a very complicated method to get a partial section. I'm not interested on "elastic definition " or "flexibility" in ProE environment. I think it should be very simple to select from the assembly tree the parts not included in the section (other CAD program can do it) and that's all ! I found another way based on Simplyfied Reps but it's complicated too. Thanks Bye Pier

Reply to
Pier Dil

Okay, forget zone selection; you're right: too difficult, clumsy and ineffective. Now, instead of doing what huggre suggested in the drawing, do it in the part. Pick 'View>View Manager>Xsec', select the view name then RMB 'Redefine>Hatching'. Cycle through the section with Next xsec until you come to the components you want to exclude and click on Excl Comp. Do this with each component you want to exclude from the section. When you show the section in your 3D view, those excluded components should not be sectioned ~ neither cut nor hatched.

Reply to
David Janes

I don't believe you fellas are talking about the same things here.

3D environment = an asssembly model window? 3D view = where the view is not normal to the section plane?
Reply to
Jeff Howard

Sorry, make that "where the drawing view is not normal to ...".

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I admit the possibility of what you say; still, what I think both Pier and I both want is this: a view, with excluded components, should show up as not only not hatched in an ISO view, but also not cutaway, not sectioned, when you do Excl Comp. I say it's possible, if one does it in the model; no matter how it looks in the assembly/model hatched section view, it will look correctly sesctioned in the drawing view (odd, I know, that it'd look wrong in the model but right in the drawing, but that's my contention.)

Reply to
David Janes

It (excluding in a drawing view) can be done while working in the drawing, too. Update sheet when done to redraw the missing edges. (Perhaps I misunderstand the inference; e.g. you Must exclude while in model mode.)

I do know one thing; Pier and I would both like to see a method of exclusion by rule of some sort. It's not real high on my list of dream features but Select_1 vs. Select_1_or_more leaves a big hole in the fuctionality. I guess the practice of not axially sectioning common hardware (fasteners, etc.) items doesn't hold much sway with Pro/E's larger accounts unless I'm missing something.

I'd like to hear more about Pier's simp rep solution.

If it is truly the "3D environment" that Pier's concerned with; is an assembly cut feature worth looking into?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Hi friends. I conferm that my ieda is to have an "uncut" model in an assembly environment. Let's suppose not to have drawing at all. The "Excl Comp" in a ViewManager-Xsec operation regards only the hatching. For me it's important to keep entirely solid one or more parts in an assembly environment. I think about two solution.

1 - Extrude-Cut feature in an assembly mode. Intersect option to exclude one or more components. Simple but it's a feature anyway ( it's necessary to remember to suppress it,it should be the last feature in an assembly tree, it's not simple to manage in a drawing,ecc...). It's good for a quick image.

2 - "Simply rep" for the parts I want to section. Component environment - Simply Rep - Work region - Draw the area to cut as an extrude-cut. Assembly environment - Simply Rep - Substitute - By rep - select the simply rep of the part I want to sec . Good solution because it's not a really cut operation and it's simpler to manage it for 2d view , ecc... It's not good if you have a complex assembly with a lot of components.

I'm working with WF2. Any info about WF3 ??

Bye Pier

Reply to
Pier Dil