DRM methods

I would like to learn something about methods of rights management in CAD documents in PRO-E and possibly other CAD systems.

What type of data is exchanged? What file types? Is the access to the files coupled with a certain viewer? Are the files digitally encrypted? Is there a decryption/certificate exchange process involved? Is there a notification process (email) about who is accessing the information involved/possible?

Where can I read on about this technology?

-- Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

Reply to
Christoph Kukulies

I would like to learn something about methods of rights management in CAD documents in PRO-E and possibly other CAD systems.

What type of data is exchanged? What file types? Is the access to the files coupled with a certain viewer? Are the files digitally encrypted? Is there a decryption/certificate exchange process involved? Is there a notification process (email) about who is accessing the information involved/possible?

Where can I read on about this technology?

Reply to
Janes

Thanks. I visited the links below.

Any other products? I read also about a product named "Trustview" and found an article (in german) in the peridoical "Digital Engineering":

What I'm especially interested in is the question whether there are digital signing methods are involved and whether model files can be included into this DRM procedures. Would that require some kind of Viewer if not the full CAD system at the clients site?

-- Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

product that's built into the authoring software. The link below is a "What's New" precis on the addition of DRM to Pro/E and links to other resources.

Christoph Kukulies

Janes wrote: > [

Reply to
Janes

s: snipped-for-privacy@mid.dfncis.de...

2, 31 Zeilen --]

agenews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.dfncis.de...

ohter stuff on the PTC website?

That's a joke, isn't it ? :-) The white paper I got is in german, too. Nice would be if the video presentation could be listened in german also.

I must admit hadn't studied the white paper throuroughly enough when posting my previous question. I think at this point in time I have gathered enough information to get a picture of what's involved with the PTC DRM solution.

Thanks a lot.

tion/confusion. As to the technical details of how DRM is executed, I'm sur= e that it's a closely guarded secret about which, naturally, we know absolu= tely nothing.

ink environment, you already have ProductView for viewing files (once unenc= rypted). You may also be part of a controlled releasing procedure where you= have some kind of rights to annotate/comment on digital data. Outside of t= his environment, your end users would probably need Pro/e because the DRM i= s licensed to the authoring tool as a seperately purchased addon. But this = kind of question is best answered by PTC and its sales staff. They'd LOVE f= or you to call them.

f Pro/e users (much less general computer users)

What exactly did you refer to with "cutting edge question"? And what issue?

are even aware of this issue. If you are authoring software or designs, it's an immediate issue. But let's be honest: DRM is confronted by a million trained code crackers. Whatever it is, technically, do you think it stands a chance? However, even evaluating its abilities is way beyond mine (and probably the scope of this newsgroup).

Thanks a lot so far for answering my questions.

-- Christoph Kukulies

Reply to
kuku