Export datum point array to xyz coordinates

I have a good number of points defined using a datum point array. Is there any way to get the xyz coordinates of all the points other than measuring each point's position relative to the origin? I tried exporting to stl, but datum points don't seem to make it through the translation process. Thanks for the help.

-Mahir

Reply to
takedown

What is a "datum point array"?

If it's an array, use the Save button.

Otherwise, you might try

(look at the bottom, get iges_points.zip (.bat))

I'm curious why you'd even try that. Help for Interface is pretty good. Maybe I'm not grasping the intent.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

How about "Save a copy" to IGES or STEP? BTW, get them where? BTW 2: nothing makes it into an STL file but facets. If you don't see anything in the export interface about datum features, it probably doesn't export them. In the future, it might help us to know what you're trying to accomplish as opposed to your telling us what you think you ought to be doing to get there. Out of the goals grow the methods. Where are you going; we can help you get there. But, if you're heading north, taking the polar route and trying to circumnavigate the globe to get a block south, we probably won't be able to help you. Except to say, are you sure you want to take the long way!?!

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I haven't done this in wildfire but it worked previously.

If the data is in the format

12.345 0.678 912.34 that is no axis and single spaces between values and it is in a plain text file then rename the file to .ibl then in part - datum points /offst csys without dims/ set coord sys cartesian and browse for this file.

This was the note that I made at the time so picks may be different now. I also found that there is a ceiling to the ibl file size.

Reply to
kenny

This is for getting data IN

Reply to
kenny

All the information is available when you export to IGES, just scroll down to the end of the file and look for points.

Reply to
Robert Trepanier

Can you do a feature - info and dump the results to a file?

You will have to trim the junk out of the text file but it should all be there.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman

Well, at this point I've already gotten what I need through brute force methods, but I'm sure there will be another instance where I will need to export position data from existing datum points. If anyone has any ideas, I'm always willing to learn a new trick. And to help you help me, here are some answers to your questions. Thanks.

-Mahir

-David Janes

I am creating an obscuration plot that requires me to collect angular data from the model. My intent is "to get the xyz coordinates of all the points" of interest, thereby negating the need to manually extract ~80 angle measurements.

-David Janes

That would leave me in the same position I'm in now. I would have CAD data that I still need to translate into XYZ coordinates.

- snipped-for-privacy@yahooooooo.com

Good idea, but when I tried that I didn't get any coordinate data.

takedown

Several large assumptions are being made here because we are not looking over your shoulder and don't see the data you do. Nor do we see what form it is in. When you say you have an "point array", Jeff asks what it is which means not only "what" it is but how it was treated. That's an important point in Pro/e because, very often, the tools used to create the data also (subtly, like a File menu at the top an interface) lets you save the data.

Thought about Matlab? MathCAD? Something more appropriate to this type of data? Something that makes prettier color graphs or 3D plots?

Um, have you looked at an IGES file with Notepad? It's just ASCII text data. Points show up (especially if that's the entire file) as xyz data, lots of numbers, one coordinate per line. Offset from some coordinate system. Don't assume, check it out.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Umm hmmm. Mahir failed to take the "think bait". I've never seen the term defined but to the best of my knowledge a "point array", in Pro/E speak, is an Offset CSys Datum Point set which has a Save button in the definition UI. Points created by any other method will probably require export to a neutral format to ditch the original definition references and parameters transfering ownership to the CSys specified at the time of export, then parsing and extracting offsets which is where Brian Adkins' iges_points.bat comes in handy.

A few other possibilities come to mind if the particular creation method lends itself, though I've never been there myself; Pattern Table, DG's Feat Info suggestion, copying from the Design Program, .... In the end I think an export to a neutral format will almost always prove to be the most expedient (?).

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I used the Datum Point Tool (with the three point icon) in WF 3.0.

------------------------------

That's exactly why I'm looking for coordinate data so I can use whatever program is available to make prettier graphs. However, the actual data requires CAD construction geometry. In this case I would use either Excel or Scilab to crunch some numbers and Scilab to create a polar plot. Excel's not too good at polar plots, and we don't have a MathCAD or Matlab license (doh!).

------------------------------

You learn something new everyday. I stand corrected and will definitely take a closer look.

Reply to
takedown

hole chart in drawing mode...points....save table as text file

Reply to
cad/cam/guy

Method 1 Usually the most expedient way is to measure from a Csys to each point using Csys projection method. Open the message log and copy (Ctrl+c) the relevant lines, paste the data into Excel. I have an Excel macro to delete the extraneous lines and parse the data into individual cells (works on any measured data copied from message log). The VBA code for the Excel macro is provided below. I have this code in a custom add-in so I can run it from any worksheet, but that's a little beyond the scope of your question. This method gives you complete control over which points are measured and the order of the points.

Method 2 You can also save the prt file as an IGES and extract the point data from the IGES file. There is a config.pro option that allows you to only export points on visible layers to control which points are exported. But the order of the points seems arbitrary. I've previously posted code (VBScript or Perl) that will search an IGES for point data and create a text file containing only the point x, y, z coordinates. See this link for a copy of the script:

I usually use method 1, unless I have a very large number of points and I don't care what order they are in. Another option I've been meaning to work on is similar to Method 2 above, but using a Neutral file. Neutral files include feature names which could help in identifying the data of interest.

David Parker West Palm Beach, FL

Sub CleanProEData() ' Deletes rows that do not contain "=" character, and parses data. Dim i As Integer Dim rngCell As Range On Error Resume Next

If Selecti> I have a good number of points defined using a datum point array. Is

Reply to
dgp

I have also same problem

Reply to