Files from AutoCad

A client needs me to convert some of his Autocad files to Wildfire. What's the best way to import these drawings or profiles? These drawings will be extruded or revolved.

Thank you.

Reply to
coldhot

There's a tool in Wildfire made especially for this task of converting 2D views to

3D solid geometry called AutobuildZ. So, since I've never used it, I guess I'd have to ask my own question: anyone used it? opinions? Worth the trouble of learning?
Reply to
David Janes

My overall assessment after evaluating AutobuildZ is that the user would be better off to create their models from scratch. I found that the flow of feature creation actually goes faster by not having to toggle back and forth between a

2-D drawing window and a part file window just to add features. Also, there were a few times where the 'depth' definition of features didn't behave properly. Seemed pretty buggy to me at times.

In summary, I wouldn't waste my time learning AutobuildZ. Obviously this is just my own personal opinion on the topic, so you can take it for what it's worth. But I really and truly wasn't very impressed with the AutobuildZ modeling methodology. Yes, a fully parametric model can be created this way. But again, I think the user would be disappointed.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

You suppose it would depend on whether they were coming from the 2D or 3D world? whether they were Pro users looking for a shortcut to getting AutoCAD drawings into models? or ACAD users, new to Pro and having the fewest expectations, hoping to get their 2D data into a 3D format with minimal trouble? I suspect the latter audience would be the least disappointed, from what you are saying, Ron. Pro users would probably expect something more automated, something that produced some 3D sceanarios from 2D geometry and let users cycle through them ~ a good bit more automation than seems in evidence.

Reply to
David Janes

Absolutely. I think that someone with very little Pro/E experience would appreciate AutobuildZ much more than a longtime Pro/E user.

You hit the nail right on the head with your assessment David. People that are relatively new to the 3-D MCAD world may think that the AutobuildZ modeling methodology for generating a Pro/E model is somewhat impressive. I do believe that most experienced Pro/E users would be like..."This is pretty cumbersome. I think I'll just create my model from scratch. It's gotta be faster than this!"

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Thank you for your help. I think I'm going to follow Ron M's suggestions and model the parts from scratch.

Because I'm new to Pro/E, I think I need the experience to model and draw parts from the beginning.

Thanks again! Happy Fourth....

Reply to
coldhot