Ghost Town

As is the whole of Usenet.

Reply to
graminator

On Oct 13, 8:14 am, Fork Road wrote: > This is becoming one.

As is the whole of Usenet.

Agreed, and it's been noted many other places that used to be high traffic sites. As this one never has been high traffic, the slowdown is not that much noticed. On the other hand, places like alt.machines.cnc have experienced a spike in traffic as the site's been highly politicized in this election year. This just reveals the inherent weakness of unmoderated news groups, i.e. they are completely prey to spamming, no mechanism at all to combat it. Among others, that's one of the most nauseating current features of the formerly "popular" news groups now driving people away. USENET, with all its stiff, semi-legalistic armor, has never come to terms with the modern Net, with GUI and its browsers, with 8/16/32/64-bit computing (yeah, they're in self-imposed exile in the 7-bit 70s), with the fact that the DOS/UNIX age has passed. It lives out its last days as a proud anachronism that refuses to die. A thousand years from now it could emerge, like the coelacanth from the deep, an ancient, long-thought-dead relic, a fossil of its heyday, still thinking it's a thousand years ago. We are lucky to be witnessing the dying of a species. Remember all those friends you hated to leave but, finally, were glad to be rid of? This is one of them.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

reply in answer to their queries. Slower traffic on comp.cad.pro-engineer but a much higer percentage of questions getting AT LEAST ONE reply. We score high on the QC front. Stick with quality, people, there's no quantity without quality; or to put it another way, a single pearl is worth ten times as much as the ton of shit you dug through to find it. Can the shit, keep the quality.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Fork Road said: This is becoming one.

Could be worse. This could be like an AughtaDesk forum. Man! Those guys talk. You should follow some of those discussions.

10,000 words distills to maybe three score meaningful content. And that's supposed to be the pinnacle of their product support. They must all be in sales.
Reply to
other mid range fat girl

See David Janes, he knows from experience.

Reply to
Fork Road

I guess a lot of us are selling something, one way or another. Clear separation of objective and subjective, fact and opinion does improve readability. The person struggling with the concepts, asking for help will no doubt appreciate that. It's kinda like watching TV, though. If all the commercials are between shows no one watches them. Unless, of course, they're my cad vs. your cad discussions. ;^)

Reply to
other mid range fat girl

I guess a lot of us are selling something, one way or another. Clear separation of objective and subjective, fact and opinion does improve readability. The person struggling with the concepts, asking for help will no doubt appreciate that. It's kinda like watching TV, though. If all the commercials are between shows no one watches them. Unless, of course, they're my cad vs. your cad discussions. ;^) Factual, technical, how-to questions get in-kind answers; same with bullshit questions. Like for like (or my favorite~nullo).

David Janes

Reply to
Janes