Paramter questions

I'm upgrading our formats and start parts at the moment. I've got a bunch of parameters with string variables, such as "client", "rev" (revision), "drawn_by" and so on. These link to notes on the formats quite successfully, as long as the parameters are given values in the part. What I want is to be prompted to fill these things out when I create a new part using one of the start parts as a template. Can this be done?

Reply to
graminator

I'm upgrading our formats and start parts at the moment. I've got a bunch of parameters with string variables, such as "client", "rev" (revision), "drawn_by" and so on. These link to notes on the formats quite successfully, as long as the parameters are given values in the part. What I want is to be prompted to fill these things out when I create a new part using one of the start parts as a template. Can this be done?

When you create a part, uncheck the box that says Use Default start part. This should bring up a selection screen that lists templates at the top and parameters at the bottom with the opportunity to fill in their values. Without some programming, I don't think you can make it "mandatory" to fill them out.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

snipped-for-privacy@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

This should bring up a selection screen that lists templates at the top an= d parameters at the bottom with the opportunity to fill in their values. Wi= thout some programming, I don't think you can make it "mandatory" to fill t= hem out.

I learnt that when you create the start part you can click on "designate" in the parameter table. Then these are the parameters that come up like you say. It's not necessary that they be mandatory, only that we be on the ball when make a new drawing.

I note that much of this parameter stuff is designed to automate a lot of the mundane work, like filling out a title block or calculating the mass of something, but at some point you have make decision and know what you're doing.

Reply to
graminator