Pro Wf2.0 on 64bit Workstation

Does Wildire works on a workstation 64 bits?

Thanks in advance Frodo69

Reply to
Frodo69

Yes.

I don't have one, but some of the guys I work with do run it on XP64 and speak very well of it.

Reply to
John Wade

And do you know if Pro/21 works on XP64 bit too?

Thanks again Frodo69

John Wade" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Frodo69

The first build of Pro/E that is officially supported in 64bit mode is Wildfire2 M160.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I would only add that "officially supported" is not a matter of stability or whatsoever. It will not even start on win64.

Konrad

Reply to
KA

We have M190 running on WinXP64 on a Dell 680.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I mean that win32 build will not run on win64. Just an info for those who would spend their time trying. Konrad

Reply to
KA

Win32 ProE will run on XP x64 with a few minor hacks.

You need to edit ptcsetup.bat so that, no matter what, the %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% variable is set to i486_nt. Also, edit "set PRO_MACHINE_TYPE=" to INTEL_486. Otherwise, it will attempt to install the wrong executable.

The proe start batch file needs similar edits.

This will allow Pro to work, and you can also edit Intralink to function in the same manner.

I did this 6 months ago or so and it worked okay, but there is no real benefit to running 32-bit Pro on x64. Additionally, a lot of software doesn't work on x64 even with WoW64. There is no Adobe PDF Printer, for example, nor was there a compatible version of Intellipoint (there now is) and some antivirus software doesn't work either.

Now that 64-bit WF2 is available, it should be the one you install.

Regards

KA wrote:

Reply to
peterbrown77

??? The instaler is on a CD which has only one executable. Or is there something more that I don't know?

Thanks for nice hint. Konrad

Reply to
KA

Why waste time trying to get a 32bit version to run. Just get the 64bit version and go.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Some guys have say, WF2 M120 without maintenance agreement. No problem on old computer, but they all are x64 these days!

Konrad

Reply to
KA

You need to copy an already-installed ProE loadpoint (win32) to your x64 machine, and then edit ptcsetup.bat.

Reply to
peterbrown77

Yes the computers are all x64, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to run Windows XP64. We have all of our Dell 370's and 380's still running WinXP32.

Why did you upgrade the OS to WinXP64, if your software didn't support it?

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Because of other software. There's world beyond proe...

Konrad

PS. Who knows what code (64bit/32bit) is run under linux?

Reply to
KA

The Linux release is 32-bit, and PTC is discontinuing it.

KA wrote:

Reply to
peterbrown77

Yeah, they're discontinuing it and it's a shame. On the other hand, proe under linux is no longer the only alternative to Win at intel's platform. There's solaris and from what I've heard, it's pretty cool.

Konrad

Reply to
KA