Radial Axis disappears when grouped!

Ok...anyone have a fix for this? I have a drawing that shows my radial pattern with the bolt circle axis just fine. When I add the hole pattern to a group, the radial axis disappears on the drawing but leaves the dimension to the bolt circle diameter. HELP!!!! ( i am using Wildfire 2.0 )

Thanks in advance, Jason

Reply to
Jason L ©

Don't know why the circle axis would disappear in a drawing by adding the pattern to a group. I've done this before in earlier versions and the axis circle showed up fine. First thing I'd do, in the drawing, is make sure it isn't still there and just got turned off, not regenerating. I'd do all the usual stuff: 'Edit>Regenerate>Draft', check the layers to make sure it didn't get placed on a hidden one, then I'd do 'Show and Erase', pick the axis icon and show 'By View' or do 'Show all'. Then I'd do the really strange things, like messing with the system colors which can be used to 'hide' (they're there, you just can't see them, until you move your cursor over them and they highlight red, so you know they're there). And then, one last really goofy thing because you never know when Pro/GOOFY will strike (the internal joke module of Pro/e) is to check the detail options file (*.dtl) to make sure radial_pattern_axis_circle is still set to YES. Never know when the system will decide to load the wrong options file or someone on the network will try to 'fix' something.

Reply to
David Janes

[...]

It shouldn't. It's the same axis circle, just a different dimensioning scheme. I've never seen it make any difference. In any case, I always use diametral and have never had this particular problem. Should be easy enough to find out; just do 'Edit>Definition' and change it to radial or switch it back and forth, see if it makes a difference in the display of the 'radial' axis circle. But when I've had trouble with this, it's usually been one of the things I mentioned in my troubleshooting suggestions, especially the one about a detail file getting changed so that radial_pattern_axis_circle got set to NO. The other thing I've seen a problem with is people thinking that a hole, referenced to and, patterned on a pivoting datum, should produce the axis circle. However, only a hole that starts out with position type of radial/diametral, then patterned, can have this axis circle.

Reply to
David Janes

I have double-checked everything you mentioned David. Do you have WF2? If you do, please try this....pattern a hole diametrically. Then put the pattern group along with some other features into one group. The axis circle will disappear in the drawing when grouped.

I went back and used the old menu as well and selected by range the features to be grouped. Interestingly enough I got a message saying it couldn't add the patterns to the group, but it appears as if they were grouped anyway. I really need to solve this because we have "casting" features and "machining" features. That way we can use the same part for both the casting and machining drawings. We then just simplify the represention on the casting drawing to elliminate the machining group.

Thanks. Jason

"David Janes" wrote in message news:Zrk0f.251$fE5.128@fed1read06... It shouldn't. It's the same axis circle, just a different dimensioning scheme. I've never seen it make any difference. In any case, I always use diametral and have never had this particular problem. Should be easy enough to find out; just do 'Edit>Definition' and change it to radial or switch it back and forth, see if it makes a difference in the display of the 'radial' axis circle. But when I've had trouble with this, it's usually been one of the things I mentioned in my troubleshooting suggestions, especially the one about a detail file getting changed so that radial_pattern_axis_circle got set to NO. The other thing I've seen a problem with is people thinking that a hole, referenced to and, patterned on a pivoting datum, should produce the axis circle. However, only a hole that starts out with position type of radial/diametral, then patterned, can have this axis circle.

Reply to
Jason L ©

also the radial axis doesn't show up when you only have one hole located diametrically (not in a group). It shows up on the part but not the drawing. radial_pattern_axis_circle is set to yes. When it is patterned the circle shows up. This is driving me crazy!

[...]

I tried it as you suggested. Did a part from scratch with WF2, same results, radial axis circle on drawing disappeared (and reappeared as soon as I ungrouped pilot hole, axis and radially patterned holes. In addition, the axes of the radial holes changed orientation pointing to the center to plus signs. I suspect it's changing something about the pattern (like turning it into a table pattern). The axis circle is of the pattern, not of the radial hole however, the radial/diametral dimension is of the location definition, not the pattern so it stays.

What to do is a big one, but don't see why NOT having the axis circle would keep you from proceeding as usual. As a work around, you could do a parametric sketch in drawing mode, pick the center axis and a radial hole axis as snap references and sketch your radial axis circle then change the line style to a dashed font. If I get time, I'll put a call in to PTC tech support, see if they know what's going on.

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks David,

At least its not my version thats just buggy. I did however remedy the needed radial axis by doing the parametric sketch as you suggested and that worked fine. Its just one more extra step, but at least I can get the job done. If you hear anything from PTC, post it here or let me know. Thanks again.

Jason

Reply to
Jason L ©