Sheetmetal bend reliefs - not working

I must be doing something wrong... Running thru the exercises in the Cadquest Sheetmetal book and when I specify a bend relief it doesn't seem to work,

it looks like a bend without a relief.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Reply to
Mike Singer

In the following case, you will need corner relief: You have a first wall. Let's say it's oriented horizontally and has two vertical walls attached to the left and right sides. Then you wish to add a front wall between the two end walls and make it so the the outside face of this wall is flush with the ends of the side walls. This wall is formed into the metal, preserves the front to back dimension of the first wall and needs some kind of corner relief so that the metal at the corners gets out of the way of the bend. But, you can make a lot of bends and walls without needing corner relief. This is something it takes a while to 'get', even with systematic instruction because they're not actually teaching you sheetmetal design, just how to do it with Pro/e.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks David for your detailed reply. This is exactly what the book shows, one flat piece with one bend with reliefs and it shows the different types of reliefs graphically. So I expected to see it because it's in the book.

What if I want a bend relief where it's not physically necessary? ...and I want it as part of my design?

Pro E just won't show it and has no way TO show it?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Singer

I don't have proe in front of me, but i think to put a releif in where it s not needed, you'll have to offset the sketch from the wall (if extruding), or sketch the wall dimsnioned a small differnce from the points (if using the wall with radii) cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

I am at a complete loss. I just can't visualize where there would be relief or what would be relieved on a flat piece with one bend, unless the piece was T-shaped and you were bending the leg of the T into a vertical wall. And then only if the bend was inside the border of the cross member so that a top view shows the cross member to be the same dimension, top to bottom, across the whole width of the top member. In any case, since this is hard to describe adequately and pictures/models would help the discussion immensely, maybe you could iges the part and post it somewhere or send me a copy. The picture of what it is supposed to look like would help too, since I'm not convinced we are even talking about the same thing.

: and it shows the different types of reliefs graphically. : So I expected to see it because it's in the book. : : What if I want a bend relief where it's not physically necessary? : ...and I want it as part of my design? : Again, I can't visualize what it would be or what it would look like if didn't represent the reality of how metal bends.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes