supress by layer

Anyone know if it is possible to suppress by layer?

In pre-wildfire versions of proe (might even be in versions as old as

19) you used to be able to "suppress by layer". In other words you could select a layer while in suppress mode and have all the features/ components in a layer be suppressed.

PS: What happened to this forum? very few posts are related to using Pro/e. Is there a better website for that?

Reply to
krullmi

I haven't used this at all, both previous and current with WF5, no solution I know.

It seems that some user Joe788 refuses to remove this list off his "CC" and is bringing this list down with garbage.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Gress

I found it. More steps then is used to be and it has a 500 item selection limit. Layers can have more than 500 items, but the function I found only selects 500 items on a layer at a time.

Here goes: Show the layer tree in the left panel Right click on a layer (or select the layer and then right click) for a fly out menu Select "Select Items" on the fly out menu all the items on the layer (up to 500) will be selected Go to the "Edit" menu in the top menu and select Suppress

Alternatively, you can expand the layer name in the layer tree and Select the first item in the layer item list, scroll done to the bottom of that list and, while holding down the control button, select the last item in that layers list. Then go to the edit menu and select "suppress. There is still a 500 item limit, but after you've suppressed the first 500 items you can repeat the process to select and suppress more items.

A bit more cumbersome than it used to be, but it works.

So why do I have more than 500 items to suppress? Our electrical group uses Altium to create curcuit boards. They output the 3D step files. When I bring those files into proe as an assembly, they often have several hundred to several thousand parts. Most of them are tiny little blocks that I don't need. The bigger parts and jacks I need to see to fit housings around. I put the big parts on a layer and do the same with the little parts. Then, to keep the session from loading thousands of part names into session I suppress the little parts. It's very tedious to find a part in session when you have to scroll through a list of over a thousand parts.

Often times I will suppress all but the little parts so that only the little parts are shoiwing. Then I output that as a step or .sat file and bring that back into one part called "lil parts". I delete the little parts from the assy and bring in the one part file that has all the blocks from the little parts. Then I can see them all but they are just one part name in session.

Reply to
krullmi

Thanks for answering your own question better. I love when people do that.

Techniques, though, are related to problems.... and how they are presented.

Soooo.... the ACTUAL problem is how to deal with PWAs (rather, some representation of electrical design files) in Pro/e. I've worked successfully with PADS board designers on a dozen PWAs using IDF export files. Eventually, they were "shrinkwrapped" for submission as a component in a module (thus no tiny electrical components). In the mean time, what I really needed was a board outline and hole placement for design checking (I.e., mechanical interfaces, component interferences, heat sinking).

Why is it important for you to know anything about tiny, individual components, other than their general outline (which could be accomplished with a shrinkwrap!)? Some questions answered, some mysteries created. Par for this NG.

David Janes

Reply to
JANES

snipped-for-privacy@j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

sentation of electrical design files) in Pro/e. I've worked successfully wi= th PADS board designers on a dozen PWAs using IDF export files. Eventually,= they were "shrinkwrapped" for submission as a component in a module (thus = no tiny electrical components). In the mean time, what I really needed was = a board outline and hole placement for design checking (I.e., mechanical in= terfaces, component interferences, heat sinking).

nents, other than their general outline (which could be accomplished with a= shrinkwrap!)? Some questions answered, some mysteries created. Par for thi= s NG.

Some of the little parts stand off the PCB as much as .1 inches. That causes interference problems with our housings in a few areas. We also have a Surface mount light sensor and surface mount microphone that require an open "tube" or "boss" to come down to nearly meet with them. So the sensors and the components around them need to be on the PCB so that the tube extending to them doesn't touch what it's not supposed to.

Reply to
krullmi