Cannot configure PIC oscillators- need help

I have worked with the 16F84, 16F876 and 16F628 for a year and a half now, and have never had this problem.

I just finished a project, and then started on the next one. I tore my prototype board apart and set up the new project. The '876 did not work. There was no sign of oscillation. I checked the wiring, used new components (ceramic resonator, PIC, proto boards, WIRES even, power supply- in short, everything) but had no luck.

I tried a '628 and a '84- no luck. Finally in desperation I tried the RC oscillator configuration, and it worked on all of them. Every other mode of oscillator refused to work.

I am using the Kit K117 PICALL PIC Programmer with the Windows 0.14 May 2003 software and the 0.2 Firmware. My computer uses the Windows XP Home operating system.

Has anyone run into this before?

Reply to
Ron Ciren

I have found that with the PICALL software that new version releases aren't always bug free. I have the P16PRO hardware and sometimes have problems with the newest software releases. I just keep the older version on my computer in case the new one doesn't work for me. However, if you haven't changed which version you are using then the software most likely is not your problem.

Hope this helps.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

I found the problem. Several months ago I upgraded my computer from a Windows 95 to a Windows XP Home machine. Naturally I installed the latest MPLAB 6.2 IDE and the latest PICALL software. I have not tried to burn a PIC since then, and ran into this problem the first time I tried it.

There seem to be two problems.

With MPLAB 6.1 the default file format of the .HEX file generated by building an .asm file is the INHX32 format. This format is not supported by the PICALL programmer. I switched to the INHX8M format, which is supported.

Next, when I burned a PIC using the "Program" button, the program sure as shootin' went in, but the CONFIGURATION register did not! Doing a "Read" and checking the "Config" showed that the configuration was not taking. I used the "ProgConf." button to program the config register and a read confirmed that it went in. I plugged the PIC into my test circuit and there it was, a beautiful 20 MHZ/4 square wave.

This exercise in frustration was not a total waste. After a few months away from PICs this was a really intensive refresher course!

My thanks to the persons who generously replied to me both in this forum and via email.

Reply to
Ron Ciren

"Ron Ciren" wrote

If you've tried new resonators & protoboards & PICs, I would suspect the programmer itself setting the internal fuse for RC mode. I'm not familiar with the PICALL, but double check before burning that you're setting the internal oscillator fuse to the oscillator you use.

Some programmers will over-ride fuse settings embedded in your .HEX file. That's about all I could imagine would cause this. Especially if you're changing resonators, you have double-checked all connections, and even switched to a new protoboards.

If you have the 16F628 handy a quick check would be setting the internal osc. If that doesn't work, it's a real good bet your programmer is setting it RC osc fuse setting.

Regards,

-Bruce snipped-for-privacy@rentron.com

<tech

It seems that I am a consummate donkey.

I neglected to check the box in the PICALL software that would ensure that the configuration register would automatically be programmed along with the program itself.