done any aluminum repair / fabrication using DuraFix ?

Has anyone done any aluminum repair / fabrication using a blow torch and DuraFix ? Any ya/nay comments are welcome.

Reply to
pogo

No, but I have repaired aluminum parts with a product called "JB Weld" that I bought at Home Depot. It is an epoxy that needs to set about six hours before you can handle the part, and then about 24 hrs till it can be stressed. It is suprisingly strong. Once it is set, it can be drilled, machined, etc. I have found it especially useful for stripped threads or downsizing holes. Just fill in the hole with the gunk, let it set, then drill and tap.

Reply to
Bob

"pogo" wrote in news:vx3rf.23188$Qa1.14603 @bignews1.bellsouth.net:

You can buy these AL rods from Harbor Freight. I've butt welded

2 flat 1/8" AL plate 12" long. It actually works. You use a Propane torch, not a blow torch. I don't know what will happen with 1/4" material.
Reply to
newtype

--For this lot I think you'd be better of using pop rivets..

Reply to
steamer

Thanks - this is good info! Guess I have incorrectly beeing using the term "blow torch" to mean "propane torch". (Like Coke and cola, etc.)

It's nice to know I can get the AL rods from Harbor Freight! Is there

*anything* they don't sell ?!?

Thanks again.

Reply to
pogo

Could be, but have you used the Durafix or a similar product ? Results ? Thanks !

Reply to
pogo

There was a guy working as a freelance welder in the pits at Daytona raceway who could weld aluminum and even magnesium with an acetelene/oxy torch. I watched in awe.

Reply to
Pat Farrell

It's not incorrect. A propane torch is one of many types of blow torch. A blow torch is merely a torch that uses a flammable compressed gas or liquid. This isn't to say all blow torches provide enough heat for aluminum brazing. Propane is certainly much safer.

As an FYI, there are A LOT of metalworking forums and groups. Be sure to ask there as well.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

"pogo" wrote in news:7pfsf.67637$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

Yeah, bout the torch, there's propane and map gas torches sold at H.F. The map gas burns much hotter. The propane is lower in temp. A guy from work bought a map gas one time ... and ... it's much hotter. we decided to buy the propane one. THEN by a stoke of luck, we took some motor oil to the local university hazat drop off and, Bingo ! We picked up 4 propane bottles, the tall skinny ones, not the low fat one for camping. So Check out the local hazmat drop off place, you might find some good stuff that someone else dosent want. I also got 2 gallons of white latex paint not opened, brand new paint.

Reply to
newtype

Thanks! That's a good tip I hadn't thought of!

Reply to
pogo

FYI - for those of you out there in the same stages of "fabrication education" as myself, here is a good group, it seems: rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks again, Gordon.

Reply to
pogo

pogo wrote: : Could be, but have you used the Durafix or a similar product ? Results ? --Never bother, cuz I'm a machinist. Heh.

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
pogo

And no doubt from a distance, when you saw him heading for the magnesium with an acetylene torch.

Reply to
cbm5