Interfacing PIC micro and bluetooth

Hello, I am considering to replace my serial cable connection between a PIC micro board and PC. I am wondering that I could use a cheap serial-to-USB converter (one of that used to connect serial devices to USB PC ports) attached to the PIC serial in/out, then attach a USB-Bluetooth dongle on the USB out of the converter. On PC it would need only another USB-Bluetooth adapter.

PIC serial serial-to-USB USB-Bluetooth USB-Bluetooth PC

Can this scheme work? Or the serial-to-Usb converter is not good to interface directly to a PIC? regards

gidesa

Reply to
gidesa

Have you considered a serial-to-bluetooth adapter? I found one offered at

that provides UART, SPI, and PIO for communications at rates from 1200 baud to

921.6 kbaud. This particular model also has a channel devoted to audio and PCM lines, could be useful for remote audio.

Also, for cheaper you can get ZigBee devices like this

which would replace serial rather well. You'd have to develop a board for the PC side, but that should be trivial, not to mention you can keep the serial code instead of rewriting for bluetooth. Should you choose to go with the maxstream ZigBee modules, I'd recommend getting them from DigiKey or some other provider as maxstream is incredibly slow on delivery.

No affiliation to sparkfun or maxstream. I just don't want to see power consumption go through the roof with low bandwidth on the constraints of a USB-to-serial converter.

-jso

Reply to
Jacob Oursland

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

"gidesa" wrote in news:1153209216.598322.129370 @s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi Gidesa (?),

I've used the SparkFun module; works very well. I have connected it to an AVR. Have a look on my site:

Non ho scrito le pagine in Italiano! Ma se riesci legere Olandese puoi anche andare qui:
Ciao, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks! Grazie! :-) Legger=F2 le pagine in inglese, va bene lo stesso. Ciao

Giandomenico

Steve ha scritto:

Reply to
gidesa