Seeking directories of stock motors & drive parts

Does anyone know where I can get a directory of companies or distributors in the USA that carry and sell stock motors and/or gearmotors, small non-industrial ones, either AC or DC? (and interested in other drive parts too like gears & pulleys, etc) that would sell them in small quantities to individuals?

Got many different mechanical drive projects, all just for hobby, none of them funded. but currently I'm seeking the AC synchronous really cheap little gearmotors that turn the color wheel filters in those fiber optic christmas trees, like this:

the one and only place I've found that sells a wide range of stock parts including motors, gears & pulleys is SDP/SI:

but they don't seem to sell these AC synchronous gearmotors. These type motors are real commonly used in all kinds of toys and noveltys and are super-easy to find Tiawanese and Chinese manufacturers (just search google), but can't find stock resellers.

Does anyone know any other companies in the USA that sell stock parts like this? I also have a catalog for Small Parts Inc., but the 2001 catalog I have doesn't show them selling any motors at all, only gears, pulleys, & belts.

I've found resellers in the US like "Micro-Mark" that sell one single version of those small AC synchronous gearmotors at $15 each and that's IT. Would like a few more choices than only just One, and wouldn't mind a better price since they're probably $2 each from Taiwan.

Is there such a thing anywhere as a DIRECTORY of companies in the USA that sell very small quantities stock small motors of any type to individuals? or other drive components like gears & pulleys?

Thanks!

Reply to
User 1002

In other words, I'm looking for the Radio Shack or the Mouser type catalog sell of "small motors and mechanical drive parts", where they have all the products and prices listed

Reply to
User 1002

In other words, I'm looking for the Radio Shack or the Mouser type catalog sell of "small motors and mechanical drive parts", where they have all the products and prices listed

distributors

individuals?

Reply to
User 1002

Umm, have you considered just buying the cheap novelties and ripping the motors out of them? It's crazy, but if you buy the whole product rather than just the specific component from it, you could well end up paying less - the motors wont be generally sold to the public, and when you try to get parts that way, suppliers used to dealing in production-size orders tend to charge an extortionate extra "small order" or "handling" charge, usually the charge being greater than the price of the component itself, or just refuse to sell them in order multiples smaller than a thousand or so.

Also, never forget that for experimenting, scrapheaps and breakers yards are your friends. VCRs, photocopiers, etc are excellent for small motors and mechanical components, scrapped cars are great for larger motors (wiper motors are a hobby robotics staple diet - they're designed to last for ages and withstand rough treatment, and turn at a useful speed without additional gearing). Most experimenters use junk for the bulk of their prototypes, and if they want to build a higher quality final product from the same design, they then go in search of commercial, brand new parts that closely match or exceed the specifications of the original salvaged parts. This is an especially good technique if you're not 110% confident about your design - if it turns out not to work properly, or need some modification, you could end up wasting money on a lot of parts that then need to be replaced with something else.

Tom

Reply to
Tom McEwan

is about it as far as I know.

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Stock drive products

i think. W m berg , don't have the link here. Thomas Register,
. mcmaster carr ,
. buy Gordon McComb's last book.

distributors

individuals?

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

steamer

I would try GlobalSpec

You can search for motors and drives, gears and pulleys and many other components by specifications in user friendly search forms and find suppliers quickly.

Reply to
Whitey

I come to the realization that some folks don't care to jump garbage bin....:) Given the price range ...probably best to just surf the various surplus(new & used) outfits on the net. Ask them to send you a catalog when provided. Have an unacceptably large collection of catalogs myself.

The cheapest way is usually to ravage old refrigerators, dishwashers, washers, dryers, copiers (may - be 100vac), sun lamp timers, appliance/lighting timers ( about $5.00us at wal-mart but you'll probably want to change the gear set unless 12-24 time is what you're after), shool house/industrial clocks, microwaves (w/ turntable) um... yada?

Reply to
doug