Surplus sources for lead screws ?

Threaded View

Hey guys.

What kind of surplus or discarded items can I find lead screws in ?
Something about 6 to 10+ inches stroke. Need a pitch twice as "agressive" (or
more) as a 1/2 inch #13 screw thread.

I don't mind buying them outright if I can get them for around $12 each, or
better.

thanks!
JCD

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

Enco (www.use-enco.com) sells acme threaded rod in 3 or 6 foot lengths
out of their catalog. It is pretty inexpensive.

Good Luck,
BobH

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

     Leadscrews used to show up in surplus daisy-wheel printers, but those
have disappeared even from surplus stores.

                John Nagle

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

I was going to suggest 8" floppy drives, but they have gone the way of
the buffalo too.

BobH

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

Yep -  I would LOVE to get my hands on a box of those!
jcd

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

    Threaded rod is not the same thing as a lead screw. Threaded
rod is intended to be used for a fixed bolt/nut application, not
as a linear drive.  Bolts and nuts are designed to have high
friction under load; lead screws are designed to have low friction
under load. Lead screws are usually square or Acme cut, and are often
used with ball nuts to reduce friction.

    For a small lead screw, a bolt-type thread may work, but you're
talking about half-inch rod, which would imply a load upwards of
100 lbs.

    Here's some reasonably priced 1/2" Acme threaded rod:

    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-2983-50-3

They also sell the matching nut.

    Also take a look at the screw jacks on this page:

    http://www.surpluscenter.com/pages/008.pdf

There's one with a travel of 6.25", with the gear drive for
connection to a motor.  All for $10.95 each.

                John Nagle

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

Awesome! *Exactly* what I need AND at the price I'm willing to pay.
THANKS!!!
JCD

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

                                 ^^^^
Reading For Comprehension--------||||

Methinks BobH already knew that.

mlp

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 02:05:03 -0400, "pogo"

3' threaded rods at Lowes and Home Depot hardware departments

Re: Surplus sources for lead screws ?

Hmmmm - the only ones I have seen at Home Depot have 10-24 thread or similar. I
haven't looked at Lowes yet - they have the best
selection of odd hardware down in this area ( Atlanta ).

I did notice a concrete drill bit that was cheap that might work, though. anyone
tried using one of those ? I would just use some
of that ShapeLock plastic to form a nut if I used one of those.

thanks!
JCD

Site Timeline