cost of level 1 HPR

what does it cost to get level 1 HPR certafied.

Donald KC8YUD

Reply to
NASA

You need to join one of the orgs - NAR or Tripoli. Either one is well under $100. Then of course you have to buy a rocket (or components tom make one) and a motor. All together L1 using a kit to make the rocket will typically cost around $250. It can be done for more of less than that.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

As of 10-October, and until the judge punts the BATFE out of the picture, around a thousand bucks and as much as a year to get the license :-(

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Hi Don,

I'm working on this in the UK -here are my thoughts:

Airframes and recovery gear can be negligible cost if you use whats being thrown out by others and have a bit of glue lying around - getting to the point at which you know what your doing depends more on where your starting from. I begged some tubes from varius places and could have used recycled ply for the fins but spent a couple of dollars instead. Nose cone is made from card and glue. I spent a couple of dollars on kevlar you but you dnt have to.... Paint is optional.

Motors are much harder to save money on. If you know people because you have been to a few launches you may be able to hire or borrow a casing, or even a Hybrid motor. Any licence you need to buy the motor may be your biggest cost but hybrids use safe fules so are much easier, it all depends on what ground support launching equipment you can get the use of because you may need a licence to get the starter grain used by some systems. Also with Hybrids you need to sort some kind of ejection for the chute which could bring more expence will bring more complication. I think solid fuel motors are favorite if you can get the licence...

You can have a lot of fun by dsigning your own rocket and trying to keep costs down but you can save a lot of time by spending modest amounts of money. Either way you need friends who can help with advice and perhaps equipment - fortunatly rocket people are great at supporting each other, I think it was Hary Stein who came up with the idea that instead of repaying thos who help us get started (giving back) we provide similar help to others starting out (giving forward) - I like that a lot...

Good luck and as a final bit of advice from someone who's trying to do it cheep and has not quite finnished yet, be carefull whee you skimp, if you lose the rocket you wast the money.

Halam Rose

Pure HI'-Per-Ba-Lee Bob.

This is NOT TRUE and it will do nothing but breed misinformation.

Even with the new final ruling of 968, they make it quite clear that they see a large number of people flying HPR not by getting their own licenses, but by dealers sponsoring the motor flights directly so the customer does not need a LEUP. They state this is just fine.

They also encourage clubs to get their own club LEUP and and share a magazine.

So, if our new friend above attends a launch with a vendor selling motors, he does not need to add the $169 for a magazine, nor the $100 for the LEUP for 3 years, nor the 90 days wait for the permit......

Reply to
AlMax

Where did you read or get this information?

Reply to
D&JWatkins

can I say Junkyard Wars...

Reply to
tai fu

Stine...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I wish it were the case. The licensing entry barrier to HPR WILL kill off this hobby, and put us back to 1980. Unfortunately the only way to find out for real is to have it happen and for us to lose the lawsuit. We can not afford that option.

Has any one actually got an LEUP in 90 days? Even back in the 90s, mine took

4.5 months (a violation of the statute!). My RENEWAL last time took even longer, over 6 months.
Reply to
Bob Kaplow

You may but... my approach has taken a lot of time but I consider the design and building to be part of the fun. The flight of a rocket takes only seconds so we all better enjoy the building.

Halam Rose

I was amazed when I read that.

There have been many discussions right here about whether a person with an LEUP could provide his services (for pay or not) to someone without an LEUP. In particular, the question of if the licensed person could give a reload kit to an unlicensed person for assembly and use. The answer has always been No. In addition, there are many concerns if the licenseholder could "assemble" the motor if they would become a manufacturer and thus subject to more regulations.

Now, in this rule, it seems that the ATF is using the "club leup" as an excuse for why their rules aren't harmful.

They can't have it both ways, folks.

I think it's time to get, in writing, an explaination from the ATF spelling out how this "club leup" can be used properly because right now it sounds like this explaination doesn't live up to reality.

There were a lot of other bogus arguments in the Final Ruling, particularly in the area of the economic effects of the regulation. I think we've _already_ seen those economic effects.

Glen Overby

Reply to
Glen Overby

Depends on where you are located and the club you are going to cert with. It also depends on your skill level in building, Kit or scratch built, etc. With a kit you can go from mild to wild, just how deep are your pockets. Motor cost will depend on several things. How heavy is the rocket. What motor mount. Do you buy a case or borrow one. Which reload do you use. Bottom line is if there is a club near you ask around join if you like. Fly some low and mid power stuff. Get to know people and let them get to know you. You can usually find someone willing to loan you a motor case if you promise to replace it if it is lost or damaged. Probably find some one with a reload too but that will cost you. Example: From Wildman Rocketry Kit LOC Graduator $55.95 Misc. Building Supplies $20. to $? Motor DR Rocket 29-180 $62.95 Reload AT H128W-M $18.95 Member ship to a National ORG NAR $62.00, TRA 70.00 Local club membership not necessary but nice if you intend to fly there. $? Launch Fee from free to at most $20.00 So if you bought everything $200.00 or more. If you already have a rocket capable of using 29mm motors that will stand up to an H and can borrow the motor case it drops to less than $100.00.

Reply to
Bill Richardson

I'd recommend a trip to your local club. The mis-information you are receiving here on leups is only intended to confuse and drive new people away.

Reply to
rocket flier

That is not true. It depended on your agent, or agents local office.

I know agents that have encouraged dealer sponsorships and so forth.

this is an example of the non-uniform rules that have plaged us all for years Glen.

Reply to
AlMax

Second that...

First lesson of RMR is to ignore some of the constant posters that just bitch like little girls all the time. The second lesson will be figuring out which ones they are.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

I second that.

Reply to
AlMax

A trip to the local club is good advise however, I doubt that anyone is intentionally trying to mislead, confuse or drive people away.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thanks for the correction there.

I've posted a picture of my effort at alt.binaries.pictures.rockets.

Enjoy.

Halam Rose

So do I need LEUP for level 1 HPR and do I need a magazine. As for going to my local club their is a problem the closest club is Toledo but they do not put there schedule on the web and the other clubs are over 2 hours away and that is fine for going to 2 or 3 events in a year but not very good for getting into a club.

Donald KC8YUD

Reply to
NASA

LEUP's and magazines are for handling explosives. If your propellant is not on the Explosive's List, then you do not need either.

However, you might have the issue of obtaining a level 1 motor anyway. NFPA

1127 requires one be certified to purchase one with noted conditions for the certification flight.

TARS doesn't list contact information on their website? There are contact numbers on the NAR find a club page.

Reply to
rocket flier