model rocket locater devices - options?

How do you pack these into the rocket? Rolled? Folded?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Hey, Bruce,

The rocket I lost and then found in that horrible corn was my bollard post cover rocket. I stole the idea for it from you so I thought I'd pass on this pointer to a picture of it in flight with a K570.

Pete

half-an-hour

Reply to
Pete Lilja

marine and roads,

or try this:

Rocky Firth

Reply to
Rocky Firth

I had a similar situation a number of years ago at a big launch in Muncie,IN. On the second flight of my L2 TCB Thunder, it caught a thermal and headed way into 7' corn. We looked in 95 degree heat and ~100% humidity for over an hour until I was nearly dehydrated and decided that it wasn't worth the potential health risk at that point. The rocket was never found.

Mark Simpson

how about a strobe flashing light and then wait for dusk? shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Don't these big rockets lost in corn or wheat fields cause mayhem to the harvesting equipment?

Reply to
RayDunakin

For the most part, no. Large motor casings or G10 fins might cause some minor problems, but most rockets are harvested just fine. I speak from experience, I have an Alpha that mostly survived the corn pickers, and we have been running rockets through the corn pickers, soybean harvesters and those big old grass cutters that the park district uses for 12 years now, and the rockets lose every time.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Cool, Pete- looks like Fischer-Price!

I plan on two staging mine 'Homer 2' on sugar M's soon.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce OBrien

That's an great question, Ray, and one I've wondered myself. Apparently the big, modern harvesting machinery can handle little ol' rocket parts just fine. Those big combines they use for corn and soybeans around here are quite robust.

There is a Tripoli Quad Cities flyer that has had some bad luck with lost rockets lately. Ironically, he works as a designer for the very John Deere equipment that ate one of his lost rockets last fall. The combine (corn picker) suffered no damage but his rocket did. This guy jokes that he is going to slip in his own redesign which would save rockets from these destructive powers.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Lilja

That's an great question, Ray, and one I've wondered myself. Apparently the big, modern harvesting machinery can handle little ol' rocket parts just fine. Those big combines they use for corn and soybeans around here are quite robust.

There is a Tripoli Quad Cities flyer that has had some bad luck with lost rockets lately. Ironically, he works as a designer for the very John Deere equipment that ate one of his lost rockets last fall. The combine (corn picker) suffered no damage but his rocket did. This guy jokes that he is going to slip in his own redesign which would save rockets from these destructive powers.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Lilja

Rocketeers have snuck into some strange places. NAR numbers have appeared on Star Trek, on the sides of missiles and bombs, on spacecraft and others. I would in no way rule that out!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

As you may (or may not) know, in the recent Star Trek Nemesis (now on DVD!), there is a scene where all of the guys on the Enterprise are grabbing phaser guns out of a cabinet. On those cabinets is something interesting: a replica of the DSKY (the computer used on the Apollo missions)!

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

There's a slight difference between an Alpha and a LOC Magnum as was just mentioned as being lost. And the motor casing is either a large reload, or a phenolic cased expendable.

Bob Kaplow

When was there an NAR number on Star Trek?

Bob Kaplow

No LOC Magnum, but a couple of Aerotech kits and a LOC Warlock with a Kosdon L casing.

Christopher Deem

An FMRS radio... very cheap now-a-days!

But I think the Rino also has the capability for GMRS, if you're not a ham and have no interest in obtaining a ham license ($7)... you can still use it by applying for a permit (and sending $75) to the FCC. That increases the range to 5 miles... It is, after all... all about money. ;)

(Sorry, I know it's an old thread...)

Mark