[OT] word value puzzle

My daughter came home with an interesting math assignment. She is supposed to find words that when you substitute numbers 1-26 for the letters A-Z and then add up all the values for the letters in the word, you get the largest results. Her assignment was to find 10 words over 100, which was actually pretty easy. They do have to be dictionary words. That leaves out the first one the kids all thought of, SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS (sp?) at

371. Leaving out other questionable words, like PSEUDOANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM (also sp?) at 387, what's the best you can come up with. She found 212 on her own, and I found 250. My wife and I both came up with the same "shortest word over 100" with SYZYGY.

No, you're not helping her cheat on her homework. She's got it done, ready to turn in tomorrow morning.

Bob Kaplow

I think it's spelled "zymurgy"...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

is supposed

letters A-Z and

was actually

out the first

the best you

brewing, now

microspectrophotometrically

Also, muzzy, rutty, are five letter words that exceed 100...

This is one of those problems that would have been much more of a pain without google. There is source code out there!

--tc

Reply to
Ted Cochran

snip

Your example words are something "quite atrocious" and show your age. I'm showing mine by being able to read and understand them. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Pointer? URL?

I wrote a quickie last night that lets me type in a word and calculates the value. Then I feed it a bunch of words, and sort the result to put them in order highest score first.

Bob Kaplow

Geeky

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well, it's a medical term, but how 'bout Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

-- Erik

Reply to
Erik Horstkotte

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

That's only worth 53.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

The longest dictionary word I know is floccinoccinihilipilification which scores 268.

Of course longer isn't always better.

Mike D.

Reply to
M Dennett

of a

Sheesh, I had to go back history hunting:

Reply to
Ted Cochran
[Pls excuse previous Fat fingered send}

Try here:

and here
The winning search on google was for something like [ "A=1" "B=2" "z=26" highest word]

--tc

of a

calculates the

put them in

Ted Cochran

I always thought that the longest legitimate word was: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. ;-)

M Dennett wrote:

Reply to
Mark Simpson

Today's extra credit assignment:

Find 10 palindromic words or phrases, whose numeric equivalent (using the same algorithm for Bob's puzzle) is at least 3 digits and is also a palindrome.

Extra credit if the resulting numeric palindrome is prime. ;O)

Reply to
BB

If it's in Webster's then it wins I guess, if we use that criterion for acceptance. The other word appeared in Guinness as the record holder for a while. I would say neither qualifies from the standpoint of "common usage" unless common usage includes only appearing in word trivia exercises!

Mike D.

Reply to
M Dennett

I don't see my post from last night, so I have to repeat these in case it disappeared:

WOOZY = 104

FUZZY = 104

PUTTY = 102

Anybody else got a 5 letter word greater then 104?

Mike Dennett Word puzzle fan

Reply to
M Dennett

TIZZY = 105

- Robert galejs

M Dennett wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galejs

Reply to
Robert Galejs

LOL! I scanned through the available consonants higher than "F" and nothing else looked like a word to me. Shame wuzzy isn't, as in "fuzzy wuzzy".

I've ssen "Zzzz" in enough comic strips of sleeping people, does that count?

Reply to
M Dennett