Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Threaded View
Andy at ASP Rocketry has al kinds of kewl micro-maxx parts.

http://www.asp-rocketry.com /

Art Upton
www.k8xg.com
www.boostervision.com

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Great list, Joel.

Also, Totally Tubular has Micro Maxx motor tube and
rings. And Chris Taylor was selling kits, so he might
be a resource.  He has said he made nosecones using
a pencil sharpener.  I think coffee stir straws might
be suitable as launch lugs.

Doug

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

HAH!!!  I hadn't thought of that.  That's too funny, it might actually
work!!!

Joel. phx

Some stirrers have 2 sets of tubes!  :)

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

It works well, BMS is faaaaar better.

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

It kind of tears balsa, but if you use a pine dowel it works fine. That's
how I made my Micro Maxx Crayon nose cone. Prang brand of course!

    Bob Kaplow    NAR # 18L    TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
        >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

If you want something different, Art Applewhite makes Micro Maxx sized
saucers.  I've built their big brother, and they fly great.  Check out:

http://www.artapplewhite.com/delta.html

Tim Reidy
San Antonio Rocket Society

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

SRRS?  :)

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Kinda would have been funny with the 'A'......

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

I suck :)

SARS

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts
snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Yup, SARS, that's us.  And we wonder why we have trouble getting new
members.  "Hey, want to come to this SARS group with me?"

Tim Reidy

San Antonio Rocket Society

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts
I agree, they are too cool! I'm working on new pages for my catalog
web site, announcing MicroMaxx and other Quest stuff. I am also
carrying the excellent Aerospace Specialty Products MicroMaxx kits,
and am working on a couple of my own. You've given me an idea...what
about a Parts Bag? A set of tubes, couplers, nose cones, fin stock
etc. that you could scratch up your own designs with? Maybe with some
printed templates for shrouds and stuff?

Doug Pratt
www.pratthobbies.com

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

A micro version of the old Designers Special. Three words of advice: INCLUDE
NOSE WEIGHT!

    Bob Kaplow    NAR # 18L    TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
        >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts
Great idea!  Sign me up.

rockets!

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts
Almost forgot, there is a Yahoo Group devoted to Micro Maxx. Highly
recommended! John McCoy hangs out there, and he has done some amazing
stuff (and uploaded pictures and plans).

Doug Pratt
www.pratthobbies.com

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Totally Tubular has a BT 2.5 (iirc?) that fits Micro Maxx. Don't know if any
one else sells this tube size.

Last I heard, this was too small a part for BMS to machine, but that may
have changed. If not, a 3/8" stick of balsa in an electric drill is not hard
to turn into a usable cone. I've even press cut nose cone blocks from balsa
blocks using a sharpened brass tube of the right size.

One warning: Due to their small size and lack of nose weight, I've found
that many simple designs end up unstable. Check and add nose weight as
necessary.

    Bob Kaplow    NAR # 18L    TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
        >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts
Bob, when you said "add weight", I thought of led shot like when adding
weight to the big boys.  Then I thought about a led bullet, which would have
the correct shape and might have the right size.  While one would probably
not want to use the bullet as-is for the nose (lightening it up and sealing
it with something), one could mold it and pour a resin nose,...

Joel. phx

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Don't some folks cast their own bullets. Molds must be available. Wonder
what they fit?

    Bob Kaplow    NAR # 18L    TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
        >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

you could use a 6mm Sierra riffle bullet , fits perfect.
any gander mt, cabelas etc..

how ever, it would be against the safety code, and I would
feel less safe around that rocket then around the 6mm magnum riffle in your
hands with goddard nipping at your heals, he he..

anyway, I didn't need any weight in my micromax asp I flew in PSPC.

I used the nose cones and tubes from Andy at ASP.

Just make sure your fins are proper size and sim like you have to with any
rocket.

/ArtU

have
probably
sealing
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Agreed. I'm not advocating solid lead nose cones for MicroMaxx.

Are his cones balsa? Or pine?

[I keep wanting to say "hardwood", except balsa is a hardwood and pine os a
softwood. Go figure!]

That's the catch. The first few MM rockets I scratch built after getting
some TT tube were the crayon and an Infinite Loop. Just scaled down larger
rockets and never checked CG/CP. After all, they LOOKED right. But with all
the weight in the tail, I got bit. Even my MM spool was unstable. Not sure
why, since I'm still not sure why a regular spool is stable.

Fortunately, even an unstable MicroMaxx is pretty safe.

    Bob Kaplow    NAR # 18L    TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
        >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

I assume they are balsa, as I used sanding sealer, and pushed a wooden "tip"
into it by hand for the tip of the asp nose cone.

he (andy) has got the Sandhawk and the Wac as well as kits.

/ArtU

your
any
all