Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Page 1 of 2

Andy at ASP Rocketry has al kinds of kewl micro-maxx parts.

http://www.asp-rocketry.com /

Art Upton www.k8xg.com www.boostervision.com

Joel Corwith wrote:

Great list, Joel.

Also, Totally Tubular has Micro Maxx motor tube and rings. And Chris Taylor was selling kits, so he might be a resource. He has said he made nosecones using a pencil sharpener. I think coffee stir straws might be suitable as launch lugs.

Doug

HAH!!! I hadn't thought of that. That's too funny, it might actually work!!!

Joel. phx

Some stirrers have 2 sets of tubes! :)

It works well, BMS is faaaaar better.

It kind of tears balsa, but if you use a pine dowel it works fine. That's how I made my Micro Maxx Crayon nose cone. Prang brand of course!

If you want something different, Art Applewhite makes Micro Maxx sized saucers. I've built their big brother, and they fly great. Check out:

http://www.artapplewhite.com/delta.html

Tim Reidy San Antonio Rocket Society

SRRS? :)

I suck :)

SARS

Yup, SARS, that's us. And we wonder why we have trouble getting new members. "Hey, want to come to this SARS group with me?"

Tim Reidy

San Antonio Rocket Society

I agree, they are too cool! I'm working on new pages for my catalog web site, announcing MicroMaxx and other Quest stuff. I am also carrying the excellent Aerospace Specialty Products MicroMaxx kits, and am working on a couple of my own. You've given me an idea...what about a Parts Bag? A set of tubes, couplers, nose cones, fin stock etc. that you could scratch up your own designs with? Maybe with some printed templates for shrouds and stuff?

Doug Pratt www.pratthobbies.com

snipped-for-privacy@rocketryonline.com (Doug Pratt) writes:

A micro version of the old Designers Special. Three words of advice: INCLUDE NOSE WEIGHT!

Great idea! Sign me up.

rockets!

Almost forgot, there is a Yahoo Group devoted to Micro Maxx. Highly recommended! John McCoy hangs out there, and he has done some amazing stuff (and uploaded pictures and plans).

Doug Pratt www.pratthobbies.com

Totally Tubular has a BT 2.5 (iirc?) that fits Micro Maxx. Don't know if any one else sells this tube size.

Last I heard, this was too small a part for BMS to machine, but that may have changed. If not, a 3/8" stick of balsa in an electric drill is not hard to turn into a usable cone. I've even press cut nose cone blocks from balsa blocks using a sharpened brass tube of the right size.

One warning: Due to their small size and lack of nose weight, I've found that many simple designs end up unstable. Check and add nose weight as necessary.

Bob, when you said "add weight", I thought of led shot like when adding weight to the big boys. Then I thought about a led bullet, which would have the correct shape and might have the right size. While one would probably not want to use the bullet as-is for the nose (lightening it up and sealing it with something), one could mold it and pour a resin nose,...

Joel. phx

Don't some folks cast their own bullets. Molds must be available. Wonder what they fit?

Bob Wrote:

you could use a 6mm Sierra riffle bullet , fits perfect. any gander mt, cabelas etc..

how ever, it would be against the safety code, and I would feel less safe around that rocket then around the 6mm magnum riffle in your hands with goddard nipping at your heals, he he..

anyway, I didn't need any weight in my micromax asp I flew in PSPC.

I used the nose cones and tubes from Andy at ASP.

Just make sure your fins are proper size and sim like you have to with any rocket.

/ArtU

writes:

have

probably

sealing

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf

www.nar.org

http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Agreed. I'm not advocating solid lead nose cones for MicroMaxx.

Are his cones balsa? Or pine?

[I keep wanting to say "hardwood", except balsa is a hardwood and pine os a softwood. Go figure!]

That's the catch. The first few MM rockets I scratch built after getting some TT tube were the crayon and an Infinite Loop. Just scaled down larger rockets and never checked CG/CP. After all, they LOOKED right. But with all the weight in the tail, I got bit. Even my MM spool was unstable. Not sure why, since I'm still not sure why a regular spool is stable.

Fortunately, even an unstable MicroMaxx is pretty safe.

writes:

your

any

all