Re: Micro Maxx Rocket Parts

Andy at ASP Rocketry has al kinds of kewl micro-maxx parts.

Art Upton

Where can I get parts for scratch building Micro Maxx rockets? Got a > starter set today and am hooked! These are cool little back yard rockets! > > Louis > > > Where can I get parts for scratch building Micro Maxx rockets? Got a > starter set today and am hooked! These are cool little back yard rockets! > > Louis > >
Reply to
Art Upton

Great list, Joel.

Also, Totally Tubular has Micro Maxx motor tube and rings. And Chris Taylor was selling kits, so he might be a resource. He has said he made nosecones using a pencil sharpener. I think coffee stir straws might be suitable as launch lugs.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

It works well, BMS is faaaaar better.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

HAH!!! I hadn't thought of that. That's too funny, it might actually work!!!

Joel. phx

Some stirrers have 2 sets of tubes! :)

Reply to
Joel Corwith

"Louis Schroeder" wrote in news:%f64b.5295$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

If you want something different, Art Applewhite makes Micro Maxx sized saucers. I've built their big brother, and they fly great. Check out:

Tim Reidy San Antonio Rocket Society

Reply to
Tim Reidy

SRRS? :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Kinda would have been funny with the 'A'......

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I suck :)

SARS

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree, they are too cool! I'm working on new pages for my catalog web site, announcing MicroMaxx and other Quest stuff. I am also carrying the excellent Aerospace Specialty Products MicroMaxx kits, and am working on a couple of my own. You've given me an idea...what about a Parts Bag? A set of tubes, couplers, nose cones, fin stock etc. that you could scratch up your own designs with? Maybe with some printed templates for shrouds and stuff?

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Almost forgot, there is a Yahoo Group devoted to Micro Maxx. Highly recommended! John McCoy hangs out there, and he has done some amazing stuff (and uploaded pictures and plans).

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Totally Tubular has a BT 2.5 (iirc?) that fits Micro Maxx. Don't know if any one else sells this tube size.

Last I heard, this was too small a part for BMS to machine, but that may have changed. If not, a 3/8" stick of balsa in an electric drill is not hard to turn into a usable cone. I've even press cut nose cone blocks from balsa blocks using a sharpened brass tube of the right size.

One warning: Due to their small size and lack of nose weight, I've found that many simple designs end up unstable. Check and add nose weight as necessary.

Bob Kaplow

It kind of tears balsa, but if you use a pine dowel it works fine. That's how I made my Micro Maxx Crayon nose cone. Prang brand of course!

Bob Kaplow

A micro version of the old Designers Special. Three words of advice: INCLUDE NOSE WEIGHT!

Bob Kaplow

Great idea! Sign me up.

Reply to
Louis Schroeder

Bob, when you said "add weight", I thought of led shot like when adding weight to the big boys. Then I thought about a led bullet, which would have the correct shape and might have the right size. While one would probably not want to use the bullet as-is for the nose (lightening it up and sealing it with something), one could mold it and pour a resin nose,...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Don't some folks cast their own bullets. Molds must be available. Wonder what they fit?

Bob Kaplow

That's my second choice. My first choice is to crimp them to the end of the string, and glue them into a small dimple in the base of the nose cone. Sort of like what Apogee did with it's balsa cones and the little bead.

Bob Kaplow

Jerry Irvine wrote in news:01rocket- snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Yup, SARS, that's us. And we wonder why we have trouble getting new members. "Hey, want to come to this SARS group with me?"

Tim Reidy

San Antonio Rocket Society

Reply to
Tim Reidy

you could use a 6mm Sierra riffle bullet , fits perfect. any gander mt, cabelas etc..

how ever, it would be against the safety code, and I would feel less safe around that rocket then around the 6mm magnum riffle in your hands with goddard nipping at your heals, he he..

anyway, I didn't need any weight in my micromax asp I flew in PSPC.

I used the nose cones and tubes from Andy at ASP.

Just make sure your fins are proper size and sim like you have to with any rocket.

/ArtU

Art Upton

Easilly fixed with a rotary tool and a carbide bit. Takes about 2 seconds.

BTW, I picked up a 2" thick sheet of pink Corning foam at the local home store last week, got out the old Rapala fish fileting knife, rough hacked some pieces, then trimmed them on the band saw. Probably the first time I've used the 3 TPI blade, which left a nice cut. Haven't got to further shaping yet.

The foam I got didn't seem to have the "skin" you described. What brand of foam do you have, and what's it called?

Bob Kaplow