Re: Smoking CyA?

I haven't done a lot of building with CyA glue and while working tonight I

> noticed that when applying Zap Super Thin CyA to balsa, there was a visible > trail of smoke in the air above the piece. > > Has anyone else ever noticed this? Does anyone know what causes it?

Simple chemical reaction, causes heat too. Lets you know it is working.

Like epoxy changing texture when fully mixed and crosslinking.

> Thanks > > nOrM > >
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It might (stress might) be an indication that you are using too much. I've only gotten visible smoke when "painting" a paper surface to strengthen it (or when the ca came into contact with kevlar).

Try not to breathe the fumes or get them in your eyes.

Reply to
NaCl

Yep, I've seen it many times. It's caused by the CA curing very fast and getting hot enough to produce some smoke. Usually this happens when the CA is used on a porous material that has a high surface area, allowing the CA to cure faster. As long as you don't breath the vapor, it's nothing to worry about.

Reply to
RayDunakin

BTW, it can burn you if you're not careful. I accidently got some thin CA on a paper towel I was holding, and it not only stuck the paper to my finger but also burned hot enough to give me a blister.

Reply to
RayDunakin

When I cut the end off a new bottle it squirted out as if I had been squeezing it with all my strength. Lovely being glued to a bottle of super glue as it heats up.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

THe fumes are an eye irritant, but are not toxic.

Might even be steam. Moisture catylizes the curing reaction, and it can vaporize the residual moisture in the wood. In fact well aged very DRY wood is very hard to bond with CA. Water mist can even be used as an accelerator.

Bob Kaplow

ive read diferent advice, said that if heated gives off cyanide gas? read this on another model group listing, although, dont know if the amount is toxic? Le

Reply to
LeRoycom

Ca is non toxic. The fumes are non toxic. The new "instant bandage" or whatever they call it is just CA in a different package. It's been used for medical suchering and such since the VietNam war.

Bob Kaplow

I use the + non-odorless versions myself... shockie B)

shockwaveriderz

YEs this is normal. IT usually happen when "zapping" ie accelerating but also happens with really thin spread thin CA (exactly what you are doing) since it sortuv self zaps being so thin on balsa.

it is normal.

use a different brand. smoking is a sign of FAST curing which you DO NOT want since this also results in a very very "rough" surface. you want a slower set to get a smoother skin or surface tecture.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

It may be non-toxic, but it is definitely a powerful irritant that can do serious harm to your eyes and sinuses.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Hmmm. Powerful irritant, can do serious harm - I vote "TOXIC".

Reply to
BB

Ya oughta had dumped it in your crotch like I did. Wow, talk about a hot time in the old town that night! I was regluing a MM, and since I had previously CA'ed it, the excess ran right out the end of the tube.

Yes, "mechanically speaking", things are still fine down there...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

medical suchering?

ARCUS! BRANDT! STEINS! SUCHERING!

(oh-boy, I am in trouble now)

Reply to
Bruce Canino

Sounds like a close call for Big Jim and the Twins.

CyA?? Maybe oughtta CyDnN.

Doug Now you know why craftsmen often where those leather aprons....

Reply to
Doug Sams

Close, but still not as good as a good kidney stone story, or a needle in the foot (to numb for a plantar's wart removal) story. Did I ever tell you about the time that I... :-)

cp

Reply to
Chuck Pierce

I find it VERY hard to believe that CA is non toxic. My body reacts VERY vigorously when I get a good solid whiff of CA fumes by getting to close or something.

It seems to let me know it no uncertain terms get away from it :-)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Not toxic in the quantities and expposures normally experienced. I suppose if you drank a quart . . . .

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You'd be best off by defining cyanoacrylates "as not being toxic in the parts-per-million range"... unlike certain _other_ cyanides.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

So, I shouldn't tell you about the time I had a Rapala fish hook (Swedish stainless) that entered my ring finger, bounced off the bone, and re-emerged on the other side? The ER guys were having trouble using various tools to try and cut the barb off... and of course, me being the Todinator, I refused any local anesthesia...

Stupid...

[But, I was able to pull the rope to which the fishing lure was attached, which was attached to a large cabin cruiser, which was in the direct path of an ore freighter coming in off Lake Erie, to safety]

I kid you not!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt