Value of Estes B-14 motors?

I found 6 B14-6's in my "treasure box". These have NOT been heat cycled!!

Anyone guess a monetary value on this "treasure"?

Wizard

Reply to
Wizard

Murky certification (does that affect shipping status?) issues aside, the auction is the ultimate arbiter of price on items like that. I got most of my antique engines -- (even a pack of B series Centuri mini motors, and Centuri A5 motors, which were mini motors in a sleeve to make them standard size) -- by driving a lot and cleaning out old hobby shops. This was in the 80's when every town of any size still had a hobby shop. Then I used 'em all! B14's do neat things with heavy (B14-0) or very light rockets (B14-6)....

Neutrodyne

Reply to
John H. Smith

I would say $1.00 - $1.25 ... no really. The collectability of rocket engines come from engines being in sealed packaging or by being something unique and VERY hard to find. Model Missile Inc. motors are valuable as singles, and even more so in their white box with instructions included.

Also, people TYPICALLY don't collect engines to have them sit in a bookshelf for display ... they do that with rockets, in built and kit form. Engines typically sit down in the basement or garage and collect dust for a couple of decades.

So if you can find a "mint" pack of Centuri B14-6 engines with all 3-4 'Sure Shot' ingiters, folded instruction sheet, and 3 prestine B14 motors, I would suggest you find a rocket that can use the B14 and just use it.

Sorry that its not worth $245.83 on ebay as you were probably hoping :) Has anyone noticed that Tim Joyce is successfully selling "K" kits and Skill Level Estes kits for $250.00 - $350.00 a pop! Fistit, please email me cause boy do I have a sweet deal for you!!!

Reply to
Word of Reason

I agree with the $1 to $2 range stated earlier in this post. The REAL value of these (and the Estes B14 series) is that they are some of the coolest BP engines ever made. It is a huge nostalgia rush to buy an old Mark II or Skyhook kit, build it to stock specifications (no kevlar allowed!!!), stuff a B14-7 in it and fire it up. Life is very good for those few seconds from launch to apogee.

Reply to
P.K. Moore

How is it even possible to communicate that --fact-- to someone?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Too bad they aren't commercially available now. I'd pay $2 each for them any day. Heck I pay almost $3 each for B & C boosters now.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

One of these days we're going to host a "NAR-EX" launch and fly all those no longer certified motors. I want to try a Coaster or MiniMax... And definitely a B14, or even an old B3.0!

Bob Kaplow

Jerome, I have some pills that I recommend that will calm you down and give you greater focus. Please email me so we can get you back on perscription, we all Love you Jerome :)

Reply to
Word of Reason

Jerry...It's possible only to those of us who have experienced it, I guess. The smell of old cardboard when you open the kit bag, rubbing Elmer's glue on a balsa fin root, feeling a warm engine when you pick up the rocket after a successful recovery. These and many other sights, sounds and other sensations have an amazing ability to suddenly take us back decades.....to a simple time when the most important thing in the world was getting that Alpha or Goblin over to the baseball field so you could watch it fly.

Isn't it a great blessing to have experienced such things? And to be able to get such joy from simple things like a rocket kit and a tube of motors. My Dad bought me my first kit, an Astron X-Ray, and I will be forever grateful to him for starting me in a hobby that is and has been so much fun.

Reply to
P.K. Moore

Yall don't sniff the motor casings after a flight do ya?

You know there are some people that do that sorta thing...something about the smell brings back their youth...LOL

Reply to
Hippiestew

Point!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't have any B14 samples, but I have a handfull of the blue, diamond crossectioned, Estes engine packs from the 70s. They were stored in my childhood bedroom closet for 25 years before I rescued them, and the rockets they were bought for.

Shrinkwrapped A8-0 3 pack with a pricetag of $1.40.

1/2A3-2T 4 pack 1/2A6-4 3 pack A8-3 3 pack B4-2 3 pack B6-4 3 pack with one engine missing

Most of these have the original engine paperwork and some have ignitors. The ignitors come as a single length of nichrome with three blobs of plastic along the length. You used to cut them apart or bend them until metal fatigue did the job. No engine plugs provided in those days.

It's kind of a blast from the past compared to the plastic bubble sealed present day descendents.

ScottE

ScottE

Hi Randy ... ya know, you could just make your own BP B14 ... BP motors are not hard to make at all in the 18mm - 24mm range. Just be careful, plan, and think about working with chemicals. Use small amounts. A small cookie miixing bowl can easily make 40 - 50 motors at one mixing. Just THINK, and wear protection, make sure you and your tools are grounded, proper ventilation ... stuff like that :)

Reply to
Word of Reason