Vashon Rockets on Ebay

Hi Folks:

yesterday (Saturday) I started an auction for some Vashon and Estes freon-powered rocket motors on eBay, and I posted a notice on this newsgroup with a link to the auction.

This morning I got an email from eBay stating that they'd cancelled the auction because it violated their policy against selling fireworks and anything that works with a flammable propellant.

I've written them a long email explaining that these motors work on a special NONflammable technology, and asking them to reinstate the auction. I even provided a link to an excellent webpage on the history of Vashon rockets, and I'm awaiting eBay's response. Hopefully together the eBay staff and I can clear up the misunderstanding and restart the auction.

Here's the link to the Vashon history article for anyone who's interested in reading it.

David Sleeter

Reply to
David Sleeter

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Do what the overseas sellers do in the ad.

repost your auction, but up top of the description, post in large bold red type:

This Auction does not include any flammable products and is legal according to eBay rules.

You see the eBay employees don't even read 1/10 of the auctions they cancel or even understand them, or their rules.

I've seen the overseas sellers do this on products that 'might' be misunderstood.

Reply to
AlMax

Why not post it on ROL instead? Maybe that can work for you if the eBay thing is too much hassle.

Len Bryan

Reply to
Len Bryan

Well, the propellant may not be flammable, but it is no longer legal to iuse the stuff, as I'm sure you already know.

With all the gripes about ebay, increased fees, etc, isn't it time for some competition to shake them up?

Bob Kaplow

The "O"?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Regarding Vashon freon-powered rockets, Bob Kaplow" said:>

Dave Sleeter replies:

The R12 freon propellant is no longer legal or available, but according to an excellent article on the history of Vashon, there are other perfectly legal canned, nontoxic, and nonflammable gases that work just fine, and there's apparently a number of Vashon rocket enthusiasts who are flying Vashon rockets today on these perfectly legal gases, which include some of the air brush propellants commonly available in art stores. I posted the link to this article in my ealier message, but here it is again for those who missed it.

David Sleeter

Reply to
David Sleeter

Some of the available "air duster" or "circuit cooler" sprays from places like Radio Shack are now R134a (the "non-ozone-depleting" replacement for R12); I suspect that the airbrush propellants are, also. The stuff should work about the same as R12 in the Vashon rockets.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker