Airfix 1/72 Concorde-- some thoughts after building the beast...

OK, folks, nearly there now...

I thought I'd share some thoughts that may be helpful to other people building one of these monsters.

First of all, I think it really helps to assemble the fuselage as two full halves -- the seam on top is a lot easier to deal with than steps between the sections.

The nose cone needs a lot of filling and sanding to eliminate the step. If I did it again, I'd build it up with the visor, and then sand it before trapping it between my newly-made fuselage halves in final assembly. I now wonder whether it would be possible to assemble the visor mechanism using Copydex or Maskol to "glue" all the pins into the pivot points -- to give it more stability while you're putting it together, but the first time you droop it, the rubber-solution glue will let go.

Here's something I didn't try, so there maybe all kinds of problems I can't foresee, but it's worked on other big deltas for me (notably 1/48 Mirage

2000s): it might be possible to attach the UPPER wing halves to the fuselage, getting a good smooth wing/fuselage seam on the top, and then add the lower wing. If this works, it'll leave you with a seam to fill behind the lower wing leading edge, but the way it's constructed, you're going to get that anyway -- it's just a matter of degree.

I'd thin down the mating edges at the wing trailing edge a fair bit -- to get the engines to sit up in place, you need to lose a couple of mm from the whole set-up, so the trailing edge is a good place to start. Then you have to thin the flaperons, but since there's no detail but ejection pin marks on one side at least, that's not a big problem. You also need to sand down the top of the nacelles at the back -- they have BIG ridges along the top edge of the black part, which need to become paper thin to get the jet exhausts high enough behind the wing. That's the worst fit problem I found.

You probably want to gently curve the lower portion of the leading edge of the fin -- it's very noticeably NOT a straight line on the real thing, and adds a lot to the look of the thing if you do it.

The biggest problem that remains for me, and I don't know what to do about it (but it matters less 'cos eventually it'll hang up) is that the nose wheel leg is significantly too long. Standing on its undercarriage, all the photos I've seen show the fuselage of the real thing is parallel to the ground. As things sit with the model, it's nose up about 10 degrees -- looks like it's on a takeoff roll. I suspect Airfix took the dimensions for the unloaded nosewheel. Trouble is, it's a real s*d to fix, without scratching a new leg, because of the way the thing's structured. The compression oleo looks as though about the right amount of metal is exposed, so the error is in the triangular portion of the strut above it.

You'll also need your best decaling head on -- they're actually pretty good (though a little out of register, natch) -- but they are VERY thin and somewhat stretchy, and bed down very quickly. Not forgiving of mistakes, at all...

Anyway, I hope some of this helps someone else -- it's coming out better than I expected given the fit and engineering problems, but forewarned is forearmed, I'd say. I'm gonna have a VERY close look at any I can see built up in Telford next weekend!

bestest, M.

Reply to
Matt Bacon

Hey Matt, how big is the model when assembled?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

34" nose to tail, 14.5" span and about 7" to the top of the tail.

It's a couple of inches shorter than my Revell U-boat and about the same span as my Monogram Shuttle: I seem to have a fatal attraction to BIG 1/72 scale kits! ;-)

Bestest, M.

Reply to
Matt Bacon

Then you may want to try the Amodel An-22 'Antei'......

Ken (owner of a large Cock)

Reply to
Ken Duffey

LMAO, send over the monitor/keyboard/morning coffee cleanup towel! You Bad!!! 8-) Now can you imagine if A-Model produced a 1/72nd C-5? How could you fit both the An-22 and the C-5 in one house?

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

C-5? If Heavykits

sort out the An-124 and An-225 they were promising earlier this year then things could get real cramped.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Then brace yourself, cause I heard someone's also going to do a Antonov-225 in 1/72 - that's even bigger than the C5 :)

Reply to
Nemesis

Put that the other way around and it might work. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

"Yeah, I think a man oughter have a really big deck" - Larry the Cable Guy

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller