banana oil on models?

This is one for you "old timers". I was watching "The Waltons" this morning & JimBob commented about using banana oil on his models. Obviously, they're wooden, whether tissue & balsa or solid, but what
exactly is banana oil (besides the obvious) & what is it used for on (wooden) models?
Chemical name is Amyl Acetate. It is quite similar to clear dope, but not quite the same. It is not used much for 'solid' balsa (non-flying) planes. It is primarily used to cover tissue covered models. One can 'prep' the wood structure with it before applying the tissue, use it as an adhesive when covering, and then for first coat of 'paint' after covering. There are some who believe it shrinks tissue better than dope. Also, some claim it warps structure less while shrinking than does dope. It is followed by dope for final coats.
Frank May wrote:

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net
Don Stauffer wrote:

it was alos the base for a persistent poison gas the fine german chemists developed in ww1. green cross category, i believe.
Banana oil was used mainly for water proofing. Doping the covering tissue with banana oil allowed them to be flown over and to be able to land, or floated in the local pond(or bathtub, ...for testing purposes naturally).

back in the '40s, banana oil was used to attach tissue to the balsa frame of stick models. Was lighter than glue, so it allowed the model to fly farther. Al Fisher snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AFisherJr) wrote in message

Is banana oil still available? If so, where can you get it?
Martin

i've got some snake oil i can sell you.
I'll have two please...
RobG (the Aussie one)
And we've got better snakes than you..

just send $49.99 to snake oil 1120 scam drive rip off, tn 66666
Yes it is. I think both Indoor Model Supply and Penn Valley Hobbies carry it.
Martin Sagara wrote:

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AFisherJr) wrote in message
I recall reading many, many years ago that a good way to do diorama bases, rock and brick walls, accessories, etc was to sculpt them in plastacine (modelling clay, to you northern hemisphere types), then coat with banana oil. Apparently it sets the plastacine as hard as rock!
I've always wanted to try this but I've never seen banana oil or known what it is.
James V

I tried this years ago and it works. An advantage was that you didn't have to worry about setting time. When the Plasticine (sp?)is right, put on a liberal coat of banana oil and leave to set (for quite a while, IIRC) Have not seen either Plasticine or banana oil for quite a few years. (But haven't looked.)
Doc H

Related Threads