banana oil on models?

Threaded View
This is one for you "old timers". I was watching "The Waltons" this
morning & JimBob commented about using banana oil on his models.
Obviously, they're wooden, whether tissue & balsa or solid, but what
exactly is banana oil (besides the obvious) & what is it used for on
(wooden) models?

Re: banana oil on models?
Chemical name is Amyl Acetate. It is quite similar to clear dope, but
not quite the same. It is not used much for 'solid' balsa (non-flying)
planes. It is primarily used to cover tissue covered models.  One can
'prep' the wood structure with it before applying the tissue, use it as
an adhesive when covering, and then for first coat of 'paint' after
covering.  There are some who believe it shrinks tissue better than
dope.  Also, some claim it warps structure less while shrinking than
does dope.  It is followed by dope for final coats.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net
Re: banana oil on models?
Amyl Acetate is also a cellulose paint stripper and adhesive thinner.

It is also IIRC an ester and I believe that it has the common name 'Pear
Drops' in the UK because of its pear like smell.

Re: banana oil on models?

it was alos the base for a persistent poison gas the fine
german chemists developed in ww1. green cross category, i
believe.

Re: banana oil on models?
Banana oil was used mainly for water proofing. Doping the covering tissue
with banana oil allowed them to be flown over and to be able to land, or
floated in the local pond(or bathtub, ...for testing purposes naturally).

Re: banana oil on models?
back in the '40s, banana oil was used to attach tissue to the balsa frame of
stick models.  Was lighter than glue, so it allowed the model to fly farther.
Al Fisher
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Re: banana oil on models?

Is banana oil still available?  If so, where can you get it?

Martin

Re: banana oil on models?

i've got some snake oil i can sell you.

Re: banana oil on models?
I'll have two please...

RobG
(the Aussie one)

And we've got better snakes than you..

Re: banana oil on models?

just send $49.99 to
snake oil
1120 scam drive
rip off, tn
66666

Re: banana oil on models?
Yes it is.  I think both Indoor Model Supply and Penn Valley Hobbies
carry it.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net
Re: banana oil on models?

I recall reading many, many years ago that a good way to do diorama
bases, rock and brick walls, accessories, etc was to sculpt them in
plastacine (modelling clay, to you northern hemisphere types), then
coat with banana oil. Apparently it sets the plastacine as hard as
rock!

I've always wanted to try this but I've never seen banana oil or known
what it is.

James V

Re: banana oil on models?

wrote>a good way to do diorama

I tried this years ago and it works. An advantage was that you didn't have to
worry about setting time. When the Plasticine (sp?)is right, put on a liberal
coat of banana oil and leave to set (for quite a while, IIRC)
Have not seen either Plasticine or banana oil for quite a few years. (But
haven't looked.)

Doc H

Site Timeline