beaufighter?

carry on sargeent? was that a film? i seem to have a vague memory but no details. we are familiar with square bashers. i don't think they are extinct yet but the relevance in this day certainly makes them lack credibility. when was the last square set batlle?

Reply to
someone

oops, missed the film part. not used to this new monitor yet. the resolution is so good i've been watching all my hd movies over to check for natural blondes.

Reply to
someone

the daleks organic component doesn't seem large enough to carry a brain. i wonder where they hid it? sometimes they were scary and sometimes laugable. the scary ones seemed more realistic and faithfull to continuity. but we admit to a large degree of prejudice.

Reply to
someone

excellent. tanks.

Reply to
someone

Richard Brooks wrote

And in Doctor Who he looked a bit like this -

Top comment : "I absolutely love Hartnell's portrayal of the Doctor, far more mysterious & seemingly dangerous than the big girls? blouse he has become."

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

patrik troughton was the early dr i remember. i had forgotten that he added much comedy and also had a companion with legs that went all the way up. her minis were REALLY short. duck dresses, they were. two inches higher and you see the quack. yeah, yeah, just shoot.

Reply to
someone

Hey, I went to go see The Day Mars Invaded Earth, spent every minute of the movie past the credits hiding behind a popcorn box. I was 8. I'm better now.

Reply to
frank

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote in news:x2XCp.156763$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-11.dc.easynews.com:

Noticed that, didja? The first time I saw them I was kinda shocked that that was how they choose to represent them.

Maybe they were like the Oog and had it outside thier bodies? Or was thier mind some way integrated into thier mechanical component?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Rik Shepherd" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.bnb-lp.com:

Very intersting. Very much a product of his era.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

frank wrote in news:43a45c09-d2d8-414d-9c80- snipped-for-privacy@bl1g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

exterminated

There was a movie with five different horror stories. I was under 12 because of the theater I saw it in. I had to go out to the lobby in one scene.

When we saw Jaws we all jumped when the head popped out of the boat hull.

And I remember Alien. I was an adult by then but I watched on cable alone in the house and I about crapped myself.

I dunno, do they make movies that good anymore or is it all just gross out?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote in news:yWWCp.156760$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-11.dc.easynews.com:

Square bashers? Square set battle?

Are these a reference to a British 19th Century battle tactic?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Early marks were without but by the time they got to the TF.Xs the dihedral was introduced. IIRC, it reinforced longitudinal stability. Thanks for the video reference. I've never seen them in action before.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Gray Ghost wondered

Square bashing is training to march in formation, the implication that it's being done for the amusement of the bloke yelling the orders.

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

Square-bashing is drill, performed on the barracks square, with lots of boots clashing on the ground, hopefully in synchronisation. The

-bashing element is onomatopoeic as well as hinting at the sustained and boring effort involved.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

or the pols holding the checks.

Reply to
someone

I rely on Japanese & Oriental horror now. When I first saw "Ring", when she crawls out of the TV, I leapt to my feet and just shouted "F**K!" continuously about a dozen times (only filling in the blanks...) Thankfully I was at home, not in a cinema...

I've become inured to all the cliches of Western Horror. But some of the Eastern stuff works just fine...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Wulf Corbett wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That must be something. Most of the Asian stuff I see is horribly campy.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

You have to get the new generation stuff. Movies like "Mr Vampire" and the like are, deliberately, campy. But the Ring trilogy, Grudge, Pulse, One Missed Call, Tale of Two Sisters, Shutter, etc. work for me.

Of course, you have to be in the right mindset. Horror movies are just movies, they are faked, and they do require you to 'buy into' the cliches. Some of it does still seem severely artificial, but the unexpectedness of much of the horror bits (unexpected in that they just wouldn't be used in a Western movie - some are quite heavily signposted, and Asian horror in general doesn't use as many sudden shocks as Western stuff) works better for me that any number of Motels, Saws, etc (actually Saw was quite inventive, but excessively gruesome).

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

i've never been able to get horror. it blows past me and i have nothing. some of the effects and staging is amazing but it just doesn't do it. i beleive the failure is mine. the imagination and sense of wonder is just not there. the failure, horatio, is sticky residue. all my fault.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote in news:%ilDp.12107$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-09.dc.easynews.com:

Actually stuff like saw just disgusts me. That sort of cruelty to one's fellow man is beyond me. All I can think is someone should just shoot the bastard and move on.

Reply to
Gray Ghost