Browsers that *work*?

I gave up using IE because it was too clunky, and Javascript never worked right on it, although I enabled it in settings. Now I am using Mozilla Firefox, which is as excellent as IE isn't... but Javascript still doesn't work, although I have d/led both the IE and Mozilla type Javas from Sun.

There are just too many webpages I can't navigate in because Javascript isn't working (just try shopping at

when all the selector buttons are JS instead of HTML and all you get are error messages) and I am tired of it! Are there any *other* browsers in which Javascript actually does something besides throw error messages?

Also... any idea why trying to upgrade to IE6 never works? Never any details as to why, it simply fails. I've d/led that from Microsoft a half-dozen times; no luck. And to add injury to insult, when the periodic "hijack your browser and take it to Microsoft Update" kicks in, on those rare times I still use IE, it goes to a blank update page... it used to work, but no more.

Are there any browsers you can recommend?

I am runnig WinMe and don't intend to "upgrade". I hear the next generation OS will be deliberately sabotaged to keep media copying from working, and frankly don't intend to reward Microsoft for trying to prop up obsolete concepts of "copyrights". If you don't want something made available, hide it under your bed...

WinBear

Reply to
WinBear (Bob Horton)

Javascript still doesn't

Are you using Firefox version 0.8? Javascript works fine for me at the page you cited. The only problems I've had with buttons that are supposed to close the browser and an occasional need to double-click on some buttons.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

phoenix, the one before firefox runs java too. i think you have some settings hosed. did you do a full clean of ie? wipe the registry? get a regcleaner and it should help.

I use Mozilla 1.5 under XP Pro, and it works like a charm.

I would personally recommend upgrading at least away from Me. Win2k is pretty nice, but it doesn't have the multimedia support fhat XP Pro does. On the other hand, XP definitely eats more resources, soo...

If you have $50 to spend, and broadband, try Linspire (formerly known as Lindows). You get a 2 week trial account with their "click'n'run" warehouse, and believe me, you can download and install a lot of apps in 2 weeks! Don't try it over dial up. :) Their version of WINE is killer; I've installed Office 2000 on a Linspire machine and it works.

Oh, almost forgot: anything you download now, you can access later through a "my Linspire" account, even if you don't have a "click'n'run" account. Sweet, eh? So if you buy/build a 2nd computer, you can put Linspire on that as well, and then install all your click'n'run stuff on that as well.

I own a copy of Linspire, so I can speak with some authority. :) But I'm lazy, so I'm staying with XP for now.

For what all that's worth.

Whoops, almost forgot: try Opera, too. Very good, I just like the lizard better...

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

The issue likely isn't the browser's javascript support, it's that the site was written to be only compatible with Internet Explorer. A lot of the stick that alternative browsers get for being 'non-standard' or 'incompatible' is down to lazy or incompetant web developers that only bother to make their sites work with IE.

Reply to
Killfile

The problem is not your browser. Firefox works fine on that page, and most others as well. The Sun Javas that you downloaded are not Javascript, they are the Java Virtual Machine, which is for downloadable applications and will have no effect on Javascript display. Javascript is built into the browser.

I would say it's time to wipe and reload the hard drive. ME is the worst, most unstable OS Microsoft ever put out. Win2K or XP are far superior and don't enforce Digital Rights Management as long as you use only the Media Player that ships with the OS and don't download Media Player 9.

good luck,

jp

Reply to
Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig

Killfile wrote: : : that alternative browsers get for being 'non-standard' or 'incompatible' is : down to lazy or incompetant web developers that only bother to make their : sites work with IE. : Can you say "Frontpage"? Sure, I knew you could.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

no browser expert here,but I wonder about the stories I hear about incompatibility.I use IE 6,Netscape(old 4.7),and Opera on a 2 year old Xp machine...no problems other then wishing I had a T1 line...Is it just an unlucky combination of programs or hardware,and I have been lucky through about a dozen different comps over the last 7 or 8 years?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

6 of one half dozen of nothing. microshaft does activel make incompatabilitys with competeing software. you can find lots of nutscrape w/98/xp horror stories. the mozilla developers have said they use "hooks" to lie to both 98/xp to make things work better. and microshaft is always a version behing trying to retaliate. check out lindows, new ver out that is way hard to break. and cheap.

I know of two sites (eh, I'll say "two and a half") that I go to that "require" IE to work.

  1. Windows Update
  2. MSI's Live Update site (mainboard, CD-RW, etc.)
  3. About half the time, MSN. Some links don't work unless, amazingly, you're in IE - they just don't go anywhere.
Reply to
EGMcCann

SAM Publications is another one that's a dead end without IE. Going there in Netscape only nets me a company logo that has no link.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Bill Banaszak