Converting a foot pump to something more useful for modeling

I have been scouring the internet for some ideas on how to convert a broken piston style foot pump to something I can use to power an air brush, at least until the hobby shop gets stock of compressors - about a months time they believe.

I was thinking of something that was hand operated.

Has anyone got any ideas, or for that matter a link to something that could give me the ground work?

What I have come up with, is a wheel with 2 shafts connected on opposite sides connected to the pistons with a hinge, but on paper it works, but when I think about it, I cannot see it working.

Reply to
.W.

".W." wrote, In article :

make a sewing machine style treadle connected to a small tank with a pressure valve that stops at whatever pressure. you could use a small rc gas motor as the compressor.

Its an inventive idea but hardly worth the effort. The volume of the pump would only give you a few seconds of usable pressure at the airbrush. FWIW you'd be better off using such a pump to inflate a tyre inner tube and connect your brush to it. There are connector available to do just that. Lie the tube on the floor beneath the modelling bench with a piece of board on top to rest your feet on. I've done this in the past and you get at least several minutes working time for your airbrush.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

I am assuming you intend to use the pump to pump up an air tank.

Do you mean a way to convert the foot pump to use with a motor?

You needn't wait for the hobby shop- you can get dandy little small air compressors at hardware stores for much less than at hobby shops. Some of these little gems, with a one gallon tank go for as low as fifty bucks on sale, and usually include a regulator.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Those RC engines turn hellacious rpms, even at low power settings. You'd have to have a really good bearing set and lots of gear or belt reduction to use them on an air compressor with any decent volume per stroke.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Don Stauffer wrote, In article :

even the really big ones? perhaps a 25cc weed eater motor would work. i saw plans somewhere and thought it was am rc motor.